Account Director, National Issue Advocacy and Public Affairs
Note: We are not currently screening new applicants for this position, but if you’d like to be considered in the event that we reopen this search, please submit your resume, and we’ll let you know when we do.
BerlinRosen is a leading national progressive public relations and strategic communications firm delivering high impact media, digital and creative strategies to top organizations, companies, and candidates around the United States. Named one of the most powerful PR firms by Observer, BerlinRosen was founded in 2005 by Valerie Berlin and Jonathan Rosen and has grown to a staff of more than 170 with offices in New York City, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles.
Our clients are at the forefront of progressive work around racial justice and civil rights, low-wage worker advocacy, voting rights, economic security, the environment, affordable housing, human rights, LGBT issues, healthcare, education, money in politics and ending mass incarceration. We also represent some of the biggest clients defining the future of technology, urban innovation, lifestyle and real estate, architecture and those who are shaping the future of cities.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our team fights to advance equity for all people by working with major national progressive organizations, foundations, partners in entertainment, philanthropic foundations and academic institutions on some of the most high-profile issues of our time. From local to global campaigns, we help our clients advocate for racial and economic justice, women’s reproductive health, rights and justice; immigrant rights; clean energy; criminal justice reform and much more. Whether pitching to news media, preparing for a breaking news moment or planning a launch months ahead of time, our team is at the ready.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Do you have a personal commitment to social justice and a passion for advancing progressive social change? Are you a communications strategist who can be a trusted voice for our clients? Do you have a track record of building relationships with reporters and experience managing and executing integrated campaigns?
If you answered yes, then this is the job for you.
As an Account Director on our team, you will…
- Help set and advance the communications strategy for multiple high-profile client accounts
- Develop and oversee integrated campaigns that leverage public affairs, media and digital tactics to reach key audiences and achieve client goals
- Write and edit persuasive external and internal documents such as press releases, op-eds, fact sheets, talking points, editorial board memos and communications plans
- Directly manage and mentor up to two direct reports, and provide overall strategic direction and feedback for their development and client work
Our ideal candidate…
- Has 6+ years of relevant work experience in progressive politics, strategic communications, media relations, advocacy, journalism, or a related field. Direct or indirect management in those fields a plus.
- Is an avid consumer of news. You have a strong news sense and knowledge of the media, and experience engaging and maintaining strong relationships with key reporters covering immigrant rights, women’s reproductive health, clean energy, and more.
- Has strong written and oral communications skills
- Multi-tasks easily. You have the ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment while paying close attention to details.
- Has a personal commitment to and knowledge of social justice and a passion for advancing progressive social change
- Understands organizing and advocacy communications, including social media campaigning, writing for the web (website copy, social media posts, articles etc.), local, state, or national politics, and how to engage with members of the media for both rapid response and long lead stories
WORKING AT BERLINROSEN
BerlinRosen will make sure that you have what you need to excel in your role with excellence, including…
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement and a commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary based on leading market rates
- 100% coverage of Health, Dental, and Vision insurance monthly premiums
- Company sponsored Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with a 4% employer match with no vesting period
- Generous paid time off in which we encourage staff to take sufficient time for self-care
- 9 paid bank holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile phone reimbursement
- Weekly assortments of fresh and healthy snacks, beverages, and even cold brew coffee on tap
- Company-sponsored and employee-driven events and activities
BerlinRosen is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, alienage or citizenship status, ancestry, nationality, national origin, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, BerlinRosen will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Note: Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot reply to all submissions. We will be in touch if/when this search reopens. We kindly ask that you do not call or email to check on the status of your application.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-27