Account Executive, Media Relations
Account Executive, Media Relations
We’re looking for an Account Executive to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Media Relations Practice Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We provide a full suite of media relations services and communication guidance to nonprofits, coalitions, and foundations that are committed to making the world a more just and sustainable place. We put forward personal stories, powerful studies, and expert voices in the news on a variety of causes we’re proud to support.
- Day-to-day we use the power of the press to protect our environment and address climate change, advance civil rights for all – including women, immigrants, LGBTQ people, and those in the criminal justice system, advocate for global human rights, and hold corporations accountable for the influence they wield over our society.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Work in a team to create and implement effective media relations campaigns for clients.
- Serve as the day-to-day project manager for our work with the client, making sure all deliverables are on time and managing up and down as necessary to get the work done.
- Implement day-to-day press outreach, aggressively pitching local, regional, and select national media.
- Draft media materials such as fact sheets, press releases, media advisories, briefing documents, one-pagers, etc.
- Keep in close contact with clients throughout the day via email and phone, leading weekly check-in calls, and presenting at big strategy meetings.
- Review and/or create agendas, notes, calendars, and reports for clients.
- Spearhead strategy documents such as short-term media strategy memos and campaign wrapup reports.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly – including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 3-5 years of media relations experience, including at least one year leading the implementation of an earned media strategy.
- Proven ability to implement basic earned media strategies for projects such as report releases.
- Experience writing PR materials such as press releases and media advisories and performing tasks such as developing media lists.
- Ability to secure press hits in local, regional, DC and national media.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns.
- Demonstrated ability to craft meeting agendas to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
Acute attention to detail.
Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
Drive to work collaboratively – soliciting ideas, seeing each other’s perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience working on any of the following issues: our environment and climate change, global human rights, corporate accountability and civil rights for all – including women, immigrants, LGBTQ people, and those in the criminal justice system.
- Prior experience in an agency setting or at another consulting firm.
- Prior experience implementing earned media campaigns for non-profit organizations.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
This is an exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary is $58,500 with eligibility for an approximate $3,800 year end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. Successful staff at M+R have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation. We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with an employer match and quarterly employer profit-sharing contributions
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we’re back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working- from- home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices will remain closed through Labor Day (September 6, 2021), and all staff will have the option to continue working from home through December 31, 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees, and we want to ensure our staff feel ready to return to the office. This position is not a permanent remote role and starting January 2022, will be located in any one of the following offices full-time:
- 1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
- 11 Park Place, New York, NY
- 262 Washington St, Boston, MA
- 1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
- 1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.
Job posted: 2021-07-20