Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Account Manager, Government Affairs
National Journal is hiring an Account Manager to be a part of their Member Services team. This role is responsible for renewing an existing book of business, identifying potential upsell opportunities, and serving as the main point of contact for our clients when interacting with National Journal.
National Journal is a premier research and insights company committed to helping organizations effectively navigate Washington. Best known as one of Washington’s most trusted media brands for nearly 50 years, our expertise is unmatched with teams of specialists dedicated to government affairs, communications, and political research, in addition to exceptional journalism. Our mission is to equip the thousands of government and business leaders in the nation’s capital with the intelligence, insights, and connections they need to save time, increase efficiency, and deliver success.
What is National Journal’s Member Services Team?
The National Journal’s Member Services team is a strong group of Account Managers, who provide white-glove service to our existing members, ensure members utilize their National Journal resources without issue and are responsible for renewing existing contracts and identifying upsell potential with existing clients.
This role is looking for someone motivated by achieving revenue-based goals and being responsible for growing their individual book of business. This role offers the opportunity to become a thought partner with clients in the government affairs space.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Renewing and growing individual book of business, achieving individual and team-wide goals
- Fostering relationships with high-level executives and heads of office at DC’s premier public policy organizations and proactively managing these relationships throughout the year to optimize the value of National Journal membership services
- Consulting with members on best practices in the government affairs space
- Participating and facilitating conversations about high-level policy issues, synthesizing and suggesting solutions that National Journal can provide based on best practices in the field
- Demonstrating deep knowledge of National Journal products, able to suggest new ways members can utilize services
- Developing effective strategies for maintaining visibility of services and deliverables at member organizations
- Providing superior service to member organizations
- Tracking and mapping client history and engagement to create strategic outreach plans, utilizing the platform, Churn Zero
- Identifying successful trends and proactively suggesting innovative ways to iterate on existing products and services
- Adapting to changing product offerings and internal processes, consistently keeping your clients’ best interests at the center
- Working collaboratively to provide market feedback to other parts of the business
Qualifications of the Ideal candidate:
- Motivated by revenue-related goals
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues and clients
- Willingness to work outside the strict job description parameters, thinking creatively about how to provide the highest level of customer/member service
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated poise and grace under pressure
- Excellent organization, multitasking, and prioritization skills
- Strong initiative and a quick learner
- Ability to be a team player — no task is too big or too small
- Strong organizational and time management skills, understanding the importance of internal processes
- Entrepreneurial spirit – Track record of building new initiatives from conception to execution
- Creative thinking and resourcefulness in problem-solving
- Active contributor to a diverse and inclusive workplace
- A full course of the COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment at National Journal
- Professional experience in applicable fields, such as account management, sales, or customer success is a plus!
- Interest in policy and politics, the government affairs space
Employment Type: Full-time
Compensation: The salary range for this role is $60,000-80,000 plus commission
Location: This job is based in Washington, DC. National Journal will be operating on a hybrid basis, with employees required to be in the office every Tuesday and Thursday.
Across National Journal Group, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
- Force of Ideas: At the center of National Journal Group work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequences. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: National Journal Group seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. National Journal Group writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
National Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Job posted: 2022-07-18