Electronic Frontier Foundation
San Francisco, CA
The Activist will support EFF’s grassroots advocacy efforts, support our security training team, and engage in outreach to grassroots groups, with a focus on technical communities and hacker spaces. Working closely with the grassroots advocacy team, the Activist will spend part of their time traveling across the country to speak at events and facilitate workshops with interested grassroots groups, and part of their time at our home office in San Francisco working to grow our national network by developing remote relationships with organizers and coordinating outreach to new groups. Regardless of location, a portion of this individual’s time will be spent documenting outreach efforts by conducting interviews and writing case studies.
As an Activist for EFF, you will:
• Promote EFF’s grassroots advocacy efforts to the public, especially to technical communities. This includes promotion on social media, on the EFF calendar, and through mailings.
• Speak publicly about digital rights issues, including providing basic security trainings and awareness-raising sessions for concerned individuals.
• Travel to connect with grassroots groups across the country.
• Inspire, encourage, and mentor grassroots activists looking to engage with digital rights issues in their home communities.
• Provide support for the administrative needs of the grassroots advocacy program, including scheduling calls, following up on training and speaking requests, hosting regular conference calls, documenting contacts and outreach opportunities appropriately, and providing prompt responses to individuals seeking to learn more about EFF’s grassroots program.
• Assist EFF’s security training team in updating and maintaining educational materials, outreach, and other coordination.
• Help coordinate event logistics for grassroots speaking opportunities.
• Help maintain the grassroots advocacy website and update any written materials needed for campaigns.
• Blog about digital rights issues, particularly those connected to grassroots advocacy.
• Speak to the press about EFF’s digital rights issues, especially our grassroots outreach campaigns.
• Identify new growth opportunities and strategies for organizing.
• Compelling public speaking skills;
• Excellent writing skills and experience in maintaining correspondence with a substantial number of contacts;
• Strong attention to detail and a passion for organization;
• Strong familiarity with and passion for digital civil liberties issues;
• Some understanding of digital security (Note: an advanced understanding of digital security is not required);
• An eagerness to learn about new issues and meet new people from many walks of life;
• An ability to thrive in a range of different social situations;
• An ability to treat others with kindness and patience;
• The ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders, both inside and outside the organization.
In addition, knowledge of or experience with any of the following would be advantageous:
• Deep knowledge of digital security;
• Experience running a digital security training;
• Experience in grassroots organizing;
• Experience in community management;
• Technical skills, including content management systems;
• Video or audio editing experience;
• Experience facilitating interactive workshops;
• Professional journalism, or formal training in journalistic or creative writing; and
• Experience organizing online activism for an advocacy-oriented nonprofit organization.
This is a full-time position based in EFF’s office in San Francisco, CA with significant travel required. Travel will vary between a few days a month to several weeks per month, but the individual should plan to be in the EFF office in San Francisco between trips. If you don’t want to live in the Bay Area, please do not apply for this job.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
For the application, you must submit each of the following:
• A cover letter.
• A resume in PDF format.
• 3-5 online writing samples (If you don’t have anything online, please just publish them somewhere online such as on Medium, then send us links)
In addition, the following are welcome but not required to apply:
• A video from a public presentation you have given on any topic.
• Any other supporting materials (such as multi-media collateral, audio interviews, etc).
Job Posted: April 9, 2017