Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Advocacy Campaign Manager
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation’s leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Apple TV, Target.com, Xfinity, Vudu.com, and many other partner platforms, helping kids and families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
Common Sense’s advocacy agenda – reforming tech policy to protect kids and families and strengthen our civic society, ensure all kids are connected to high speed internet, and raise awareness about state and federal benefits to low-income families – are front and center in Washington D.C and across the U.S. Common Sense is hiring a Campaign Manager to build and execute high-impact campaigns to advance this agenda.
The ideal candidate is a passionate, entrepreneurial, and experienced advocate who understands the power of communications and technology to advance public policies that benefit all Americans.
LOCATION: Washington, DC (preferred) or San Francisco, CA
REPORTS TO: Chief Advocacy Officer
- Build and manage a digital marketing and outreach campaign to expand adoption of broadband in the home in California and other key states.
- Build and manage a grassroots advocacy campaign around federal tech policy.
- Manage and serve as the primary liaison with campaign firms and consultants.
- Liaise with key external stakeholders such national and grassroots partners or influencers, as needed.
- Work across teams within Common Sense Media to achieve campaign goals.
- Potential to manage a campaign deputy as campaigns develop.
- Demonstrated experience in running an issue-based awareness or advocacy campaign, including managing political and/or marketing consultants or agencies.
- Familiarity with or experience in using advocacy communications tools.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Management skills.
- Passion for the Common Sense mission.
- Knowledge of and interest in Common Sense’s core Advocacy issues.
- Facility in interacting across levels of an organization.
- Ability to work well under pressure and fast deadlines.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- A great health and welfare benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.
Job posted: 2022-01-11