Advocacy and Citizen Science Program Manager
The 5 Gyres Institute is a nonprofit organization established in 2009 based in Los Angeles, with
a global network of supporters united in the pursuit of a planet free of plastic pollution. 5
Gyres current mission is to empower action against the global health crisis of plastic pollution
through science, education and adventure. However, we are in the midst of changing our
mission to be focused around building zero waste culture in underserved schools and
5 Gyres is seeking a driven and collaborative Advocacy and Citizen Science Program Manager.
The person in this position will drive our work participating in local, statewide and national
plastic pollution policy efforts, and to manage our citizen science platform, engaging diverse
stakeholders in gathering local plastic pollution data that informs policy change. The Advocacy
and Citizen Science Program Manager is responsible for fostering and growing relationships
with community and environmental justice organizations, with a focus on underserved
The Advocacy and Citizen Science Program Manager will report directly to the Deputy Director
with a dotted line to the Executive Director.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Plastic pollution advocacy
● Participate in regular coalition calls – Clean Seas Coalition, National Reuse Network,
Reusable LA, etc..
● Co-lead Reusable LA, a local coalition working to drive policy change in Los Angeles
through aligning with and supporting environmental justice organizations.
● Consistent collaboration and communications with Environmental and Social Justice
● Stay current on key plastic pollution legislation and movement-related strategies, keep
team and leadership informed.
● Manage 5 Gyres TrashBlitz program in collaboration with key team members, engaging
regional organizations and stakeholders, and conducting webinar trainings.
● Manage process of analyzing data results to determine potential policy outcomes.
● Convene stakeholders in regional solutions summit, to review data results and
● Drive creation of key collateral – case studies, reports, etc.
● Work with our Chief Science Officer and team on strategic initiatives to engage in work
related to our research.
Program Management and Administration
● Set SMARTIE goals for programs as they align with the strategic plan.
● Measure the impact of program efficacy through data reporting.
● Monitor and evaluate the programs and adjust accordingly.
● Work closely with the Development team to manage budgets, advise with grant
application process, etc.
● Manage the program budget by controlling related expenses according to the annual
● Participate in individual and group supervision.
Internal and external communications
● Cultivate strategic relationships with organizations, individuals and businesses.
● Provide learning opportunities such as monthly webinars, connect them to existing
● Strengthen the relationship between 5 Gyres and its community.
● Attend community events to promote programs.
● Develop and implement strategies that will maximize synergies among existing
programs and 5 Gyres resources.
● Represent the organization in public engagement with integrity and accuracy.
● Bachelor’s degree and 5 years related experience or an equivalent combination.
● Strong knowledge of plastic policy arena and coalition building strategies.
● Strong diplomacy skills that demonstrate the ability to build principled, ongoing,
multi-stakeholder coalitions, as well as professional, nonpartisan relationships with
policymakers for long-term policy change.
● Familiarity with basic plastic pollution science. Understanding of the role citizen
science plays in driving policy change.
● Experience in managing and tracking multiple programs and projects.
● Experience working with cross-functional teams.
● Experience, coursework, or other training in diversity, equity and inclusion.
● Self-Starter with excellent writing and communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively and build principled relationships with
diverse stakeholder groups and foster trust from engagement and planning to
implementation and evaluation of policy efforts.
● Act independently and in supervisor’s stead as needed. Exercise independent judgment
to identify and solve problems.
● Multilingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
● Fluency in Spanish – Preferred.
● Ability to implement and manage program strategies that support advancement of
● Demonstrated success and experience using listening, conflict resolution skills,
diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate partners and volunteers.
● Strong negotiating and organizational skills.
● Passion for solving the plastic pollution problem.
At 5GI, we not only seek to change the world but also to ensure that we bring on people who fit
into our culture and embrace our core values.
Our Core Values
Fun and Lightheartedness Positivity
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Hours and compensation
The Advocacy and Citizen Science Program Manager position is a full-time, 100% remote
exempt position. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Health benefits and 401K plan
will be offered through TriNet and employee will enjoy our unlimited paid time off program.
Qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The 5 Gyres Institute is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or
employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, age,
disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected class under law.
Job posted: 2020-07-10