Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Advocacy & Communications Specialist, Africa & Eurasia
HIAS seeks an Advocacy & Communications Specialist, Africa & Eurasia to join its growing and dynamic team supporting Kenya and Chad. This position reports to the Regional Director Africa & Eurasia and works closely with colleagues in the Global Public Affairs division.
In the field of advocacy, HIAS supports laws and policies that reflect the principles and values of welcoming the stranger and protecting the refugee. It also is committed to the promotion of refugee rights and humanitarian principles. This role will contribute towards building greater synergies through advocacy initiatives, whilst in the process, broadening such efforts to include a more global audience. The incumbent will also contribute to HIAS’ communications strategies that aim to continually raise HIAS’ profile in editorial and production projects.
Note, this is a full-time, temporary position that starts ASAP and ends 12 months later, with possible extension. This position is based at our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland or our offices in New York, New York, and we will consider a remote option for applicants who live outside of commuting distance to either of our offices and are based in other states in which we are registered (Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin). This position can also be based at our office in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Leads advocacy and communications efforts in the region with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders in relation to refugee and humanitarian priorities, and frequently participates in humanitarian communications working groups.
- Provides oversight on implementation of advocacy initiatives in country offices and monitors the fulfillment of the objectives in line with the broader strategic vision for the organization.
- Supports in the development of strategic plans for the country offices; ensures cohesion of strategic plans and approaches across the team.
- Builds partnerships and coordinates work with other networks and allies in the humanitarian and human rights field in Africa and beyond, to maximize the chance of securing advocacy wins.
- Represents HIAS in advocacy-related working groups and networks in Africa, and feeds into advocacy conducted by HIAS headquarters on Africa-related refugee response.
- Coordinates closely with counterparts in HIAS’ headquarters covering international communications and advocacy in the implementation of strategies implemented in HIAS’ operations in Africa.
- Coordinates the compilation of stories, pictures and videos covering HIAS’ humanitarian and emergency response activities for communication and advocacy purposes.
- Drafts and produces country office annual reports, brochures and promotional materials showcasing advocacy recommendations, programs and other relevant communications for visibility, including relevant social media.
- Drafts communications sections of reports and proposals to existing and prospective donors.
- Supports country offices in development and management of budgets that support communications and advocacy activities.
- Guides relevant country office communications focal points on compliance to various or emerging donor communications requirements.
- Trains and provides oversight on the development of content for HIAS Chad’s and HIAS Kenya’s social media channels.
- Supports in organizing media outreach within the country offices and leads on regional media outlets by arranging for media contacts, press briefings and interviews; provides talking points and other materials as needed for colleagues.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Regional Director, Africa & Eurasia.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Undergraduate degree in Communications, Public Relations or International Relations.
- 3-5 years of experience in communications and advocacy in Africa.
- English and French fluency are required.
- Working experience in an international humanitarian NGO.
- Strong background in humanitarian and/or refugee-related advocacy in Africa.
- Understanding and commitment to the values of HIAS.
- Experience managing social media for an NGO.
- Basic graphic design skills; video and photo editing experience preferred.
- Enthusiasm to learn new communications and advocacy skills.
- Flexibility to travel up to 20% of the time.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team and independently, take initiative, prioritize competing tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a HIAS recruiter.
Step 3: Video interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Video interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Online reference check with SkillSurvey.
Step 6: Offer and background check with Shield Screening.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish people—a history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • Hachnasat Orchim
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • Tzedek
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • Chesed
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • Chevruta
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • Ometz
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • Ruach
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation, or other legally protected status.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and application to our website:
Job posted: 2022-09-18