Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The National Kidney Foundation’s (NKF) Government Relations department supports the organization’s public policy agenda to improve the lives of individuals living with chronic kidney disease, kidney transplant recipients, living organ donors, family care partners, kidney health professionals, and the one in three American adults at risk for kidney disease.
In collaboration with the Director of Grassroots Advocacy and other Government Relations team members, the Advocacy Coordinator will (1) assist in the advancement of NKF’s kidney health agenda with public decision makers; (2) help to develop and distribute advocacy communications; (3) help execute a grassroots and grasstops strategy at the federal and state levels; and (4) conduct policy information gathering as needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with and reports to Director of Grassroots Advocacy to carry out a strategic vision that increases the number of grassroots and grasstops advocates and deepens engagement among existing advocates leading to increased direct outreach from the kidney community to policymakers at all levels.
- Facilitates collaboration with state-based, field, and NKF affiliate staff and volunteers to advance and win state legislative and kidney policy campaigns.
- Coordinates activities related to annual Kidney Patient Summit and contributes to summit’s strategic direction.
- Coordinates drafting and distribution of NKF’s advocacy Action Alerts and other legislative and policy materials as assigned.
- Supports Director of Grassroots Advocacy in advocate recruitment, training, and engagement activities.
- Implements advocacy strategies for NKF’s patient-based Kidney Advocacy Committee and professional-based Kidney Outreach Team.
- Maintains and updates NKF’s digital advocacy resources.
- Performs additional duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a concentration in in political science, public administration, or a similar field is preferred.
- Interest in health issues and public policy.
- 1-3 years of progressively responsible experience in government relations at the local, state or federal level, preferably within a health-related field, and with a basic understanding of the legislative process.
- Familiarity with grassroots advocacy and engagement tactics, with a focus on digital tools.
- Some experience with web-based writing and development of digital content including but not limited to video, infographics, GIFs, and other engagement materials.
- Proficiency in preparing correspondence, reports, presentations and other assigned documents.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Curiosity, passion, collaborative spirit, solutions orientation, and work ethic to deliver.
WORKING CONDITIONS, EQUIPMENT USED AND SPECIAL INFORMATION
Must have unimpeachable integrity and trustworthiness while possessing a high degree of tact, discretion, and professionalism. Verbal and written communication skills will be used daily. Maintain effectiveness under pressure. Competency in use of a multiple-line telephone, personal computer, fax machine, photocopier, and other standard office equipment. Flexible to work evenings and weekends as needed. Available for business travel.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
At the National Kidney Foundation diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve as it relates to kidney health and kidney disease prevention. It is the policy of NKF to provide equality of employment opportunity regardless of race, creed, color, qualified handicap or disability, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, age, gender, political affiliation or veteran status, or any other factor or reason prohibited by relevant local, state, and federal fair employment laws.
The Equal Employment Opportunity policy will apply to all employment practices of NKF including, but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, promotion, training, compensation, benefits, layoffs, transfers, and discipline. Implementation of the Equal Employment Opportunity policy is the shared responsibility of the management of NKF.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-09