Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
About the Alliance for Youth Action
The Alliance for Youth Action (along with our sister 501c3 organization the Alliance for Youth Organizing) is searching for an Advocacy Director who will support the Senior Program Director to provide the Alliance and our network with a center of expertise and resources to coordinate powerful Democracy Done Right campaigns at local, state, and federal levels. We’re looking for enthusiasm for working in an innovative team structure and deep background in intersecting issue areas that matter to young folks. Since our inception, our network has led on some of the most innovative and exciting electoral and issue advocacy work across the country. We’re looking for an organized, people-focused, and driven individual to support a cohort of network advocacy staff and directly build network capacity for democracy campaigns, analysis, and innovation.
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of youth-led, locally rooted organizations growing civic engagement and social justice coast to coast. We truly are a multiracial network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” Our Affiliates and Partners run massive voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, train new young leaders, and run powerful campaigns to win on the progressive issues our generation cares about most. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, and coordinating national issue campaigns.
The Advocacy Director is a member of the Program Department and will coordinate with colleagues to support the Alliance Network advocacy and policy needs while building programmatic strategy across the Network. This is a new role at the Alliance that will be leading a democracy cohort in key states in our network by managing and supporting network advocacy staff as they scale their programming.
Network Advocacy Support
- Build the bench of young BIPOC leaders in democracy by developing and and supporting emerging political and advocacy talent within the network to develop long-term policy agendas and plans, particularly in our advocacy priority states
- Track and analyze state and national legislative trends related to issue areas our network prioritizes, ballot initiatives, researching the impact of our network’s programming
- Disseminate findings of research projects and train on suggested practices with operatives from the national to the local level
- Develop resources and trainings aligned with the Democracy Done Right (DDR) program to build capacity and support our network’s individual advocacy programming
- Provide one on one and individualized support for network advocacy staff as they build work plans and set goals
Coordinating Network Democracy Campaigns and Programming
- Direct the coordination and tracking of proposed DDR policy and network legislative engagement on Alliance national issue campaigns at the state and federal level
- Identify and lead opportunities for Alliance research projects and experiments, disseminating learnings across the sector
- Sit on national issue-based coalitions and act as liaison on public policy issues between Alliance network organizations and national advocacy organizations.
- Build relationships with federal policy makers to advance the Alliance initiatives and profile on the federal level as a key player in the democracy space
- Lead strategic direction of issue campaigns with a focus on building youth power by developing campaigns to win civic engagement and elections, build narrative and messaging strategy, and create goals of expanding democracy in key states
Key Qualifications & Experience
- Issue-Based Advocacy Organizing – Track record of developing & implementing electoral advocacy campaigns as well as experience advising staff and integrating advocacy strategy and content at national, state, and local levels.
- National, State, and Local Legislative Experience – Knowledge of legislative process at all levels of governance. Experience working with lobbyists and past success working with progressive organizations to advance policy agendas/priorities related to democracy.
- Relationship Building – Proven ability to work collaboratively with policymakers, partners, thought-leaders, and constituents to advance policy efforts and initiatives.
- People & project management skills – Ability to manage multiple projects, plan backwards, anticipate obstacles, troubleshoot, and make smart judgment calls as needed. Previous staff management experience is a plus.
- Racial justice analysis – Experience organizing colleagues, organizations, and/or movements prioritizing a racial justice and/or equity lens.
- Strong interpersonal skills – Track record of developing and maintaining trusting relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, an ability to meet people where they are, find common ground, and inspire collective action. Patience and the ability to work well with people who have various skill/experience levels.
Nice to Haves (but not necessary!)
- Familiarity with tools like VAN, EveryAction, FiscalNote, trackbill, etc, preferably as an administrator (you do not need to know every single one that is listed).
- Prior experience running, working on, or supporting ballot measures on the statewide or local level.
- Knowledge and/or relationships with c3 and c4 infrastructure groups such as Declaration for American Democracy and the Ballot Initiative Strategy Center (BISC).
- Prior experience working with legislative bodies, on campaigns, and developing tactics and policy priorities, specifically in the areas of voting rights and/or economic justice.
- Familiarity with the political and legislative landscapes of the following states: Mississippi, Michigan, Illinois, Colorado, Florida, Montana.
How to Apply
Please apply here and submit a single pdf document including the following:
- Cover Letter
- Three references (we will reach out to you first before contacting them)
- One writing sample (i.e. campaign plan, policy analysis, bill summary
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
Job posted: 2022-07-12