Advocacy – Director, Public Affairs
The National Association of Manufacturers is seeking an established and enterprising director of public affairs who can join the NAM’s Advocacy Department and help drive the continued evolution of its digital advocacy platform and lead efforts to recruit, engage and activate its grassroots network.
The right candidate for this position should have a demonstrated record of success in growing a community of grassroots advocates for a campaign or organization, collaboratively navigating projects through complex environments, and clearly communicating the contributions of digital advocacy efforts to internal and external stakeholders. This position requires a person who is able to grasp how their skills can both complement and supplement other colleagues’ work and be quick to generate innovative and proactive digital solutions.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Develop a best-in-class digital advocacy and grassroots program, including the development of a strategic plan to grow the NAM’s grassroots community and assess the tools needed to support that vision.
- Develop strategies and content to sustain and recruit grassroots advocates, including management of data via existing CRM and executing routine data audits via appending voter files and other third-party information
- Familiarity with Phone2Action, NationBuilder and Salesforce platforms is preferred, along with a baseline understanding of similar platforms and their capabilities
- Collaborate with internal colleagues and leverage vendors to develop and deploy digital content to support advocacy initiatives
- Deploy tools (from producing digital action tactics to conventional employee engagement “toolkits”) to support member companies, strategic partners, and Advocacy Department colleagues, including field operations professionals
- Routinely synthesize and clearly communicate the impact of grassroots and digital advocacy efforts to show value for both internal and external stakeholders
- Oversee development of get-out-the-vote and election-related tools for member companies and partners, highlight lawmakers’ positions on key issues for voters, and distribute educational issues about manufacturing issues and provide updates on key voting deadlines and election results
- Offer meaningful contributions to advocacy campaign planning, including digital and grassroots strategy and suggest vendors as needed to assist with those efforts
- Develop strategy to better identify and engage small and localized manufacturers who are willing to take action to support NAM priority issues
- Engage in and support field advocacy activities on an as-needed basis
- Bachelor’s degree and 6 – 8 years of association, corporate government affairs or Capitol Hill experience
- Demonstrated track record of managing and growing grassroots database for an association, company or campaign
- Comprehensive and continually improving knowledge of the range of digital tools that could be employed in advocacy campaigns
- Strong writing, computer and organizational/time management skills; excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work as a team
- Knowledge of how an association interacts with its members, and significant understanding of how to communicate value to internal and external stakeholders
- Must possess an orientation toward member satisfaction, strong understanding of the executive branch and the legislative process.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective team member who can work collaboratively across a complex organization
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, quality and goal driven environment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-15