PAVE (Parents Amplifying Voices in Education) is a non-profit corporation whose mission is to
connect, inform, and empower parent leaders to give families in DC a voice and choice in the vision
for education in our city. In the vision of PAVE, parents are partners and leaders in developing a
diversity of safe, nurturing, and great schools for every child in every ward and community.
PAVE is dedicated to creating an environment where the vision for education in DC is not
created for children and families but rather with children and families, shifting and changing
the dynamics of power in our city so that communities and parents are partners in creating
great schools in DC. PAVE intentionally and constructively asks parents to engage in education
policy in DC, creates opportunities for parents to lead and advocate, helps parents to understand
the system, builds relationships between parents and those who are making and influencing the
education landscape in DC, and advocates on behalf of great school options and equitable supports
for all children, regardless of sector.
At PAVE, our parent leaders identify the issues that they want to move forward on behalf of our
kids and our schools. In just four years, PAVE’s parent leaders have worked tirelessly to reimagine
the education system in DC, including:
• Advocating for and achieving an historic pupil funding increase for both the public
traditional and charter school sectors;
• More than doubled funding for Out-of-School Time (OST) programs – increasing the city’s
budget for OST by $10.25 million
• Representing 40% of the parent and community engagement process for the new citywide
report card with both focus group and canvassing efforts; and
• Leading a first-of-its-kind selection process for a new school operator serving both Ward 8
and military families, where a committee of eight parents identified the school that they
wanted to see in their community.
• Increased funding for mental health supports in schools by $13.1 million
PAVE is a fast-paced, high-performing organization driven by a passionate team made up of nearly
3,000 parent leaders, 13 (and growing) full-time staff, and both school and citywide partners in
educational equity. The standard at PAVE is excellence – in all that we do, all that we give, and
all the spaces that we open for family and community voice.
Reporting to the Director of Policy, the Advocacy Manager is an integral part of the PAVE
team, providing essential support to the senior management team and the organization as
whole. The Advocacy Manager will manage the execution of parent-driven advocacy
campaigns and canvassing efforts as well as additional related strategic partnerships,
initiatives, and community engagement projects that support and advance PAVE’s mission.
Support PAVE Parent Leaders to push forward their priorities and make measurable
progress in the public domain.
• Develop and execute parent-driven campaign strategies
o Track parent advocacy actions and initiatives and disseminate findings
o Manage campaign strategy development, execution, and evaluation
o Coordinate advocacy opportunities for parents and partners
• Manage the Development and Dissemination of PAVE Advocacy Content
o Manage the development and the dissemination of advocacy resources for
parents, including presentations, trainings, webinars, how-to guides, etc.
• Manage Advocacy Coalitions and Other Relevant Stakeholder Groups
o Manage coordination with advocacy coalition partners, including
communication, event planning, and collective strategy development
o Manage all campaign updates and responses
o Participate in relevant stakeholder groups on behalf of PAVE
o Develop and manage relationships with key elected officials, policymakers,
and system leaders
Support education system leaders to include parent voice in their decision-making
• Manage PAVE Canvassing Efforts
o Manage the execution of canvassing projects, including development and
delivery of all necessary project or training materials, setting targets and
canvassing plans, management of canvassers, and tracking systems
Assist the Director of Policy in other matters as identified and assigned.
The Advocacy Manager will be thoroughly committed to PAVE’s mission. The Director
should have a background in education, non-profit work, and/or start-up environments.
Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
• Minimum of 4 years of work experience;
• Unwavering commitment to excellence and data-driven evaluation;
• Experience leading successful advocacy campaigns and canvassing efforts;
• Outstanding judgment and ability to work across diverse perspectives and groups;
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders
• Ability to negotiate, forge consensus, resolve conflicts, and convene partners;
• Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, community-centered and innovative
approach to organizing and community engagement;
• Previous experience with creating advocacy content, the development and
execution of advocacy strategy, and management of canvassing projects;
• Skilled facilitator and engaging presenter;
• Advanced proficiency in a range technology-based platforms and processes highly
preferred, including, but not limited to: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint);
Wordpress; MailChimp; Asana; Google Suite; Salesforce;
• Outstanding attention to detail and deadlines;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate
communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills;
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize in fast-paced, start-up environment;
• Ability to work independently and in collaboration with diverse groups of people;
• Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-20