Advocacy and Outreach Lead
Clean Virginia is an independent advocacy organization with an associated Political Action Committee, Clean
Virginia Fund, working to fight legalized corruption in Virginia politics in order to promote clean energy and
community control over our energy policy. We are motivated by the core belief that our democracy should serve the
interests of citizens over special interests and that our energy policy should be a vehicle for social and economic
justice in this country, not a driver of climate change, environmental degradation, inequality and political
Clean Virginia is working towards these goals in three ways: first, we design innovative campaigns to educate,
inform, and engage Virginians on clean government and consumer-first clean energy. Second, we engage in
innovative research to enact structural reform that protects consumers, promotes clean government, and advances
21st-century energy policy. Third, we support candidates for state-level elected office in Virginia who prioritize the
interests of Virginians over those of the Commonwealth’s utility monopolies in order to eliminate the undue influence
of these monopolies over the public officials who regulate them.
About Us: We are a small team of dedicated people headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia. We are a highly
collaborative staff, and we lean on the collective experience, knowledge, and skills of our team and cultivate
interpersonal trust and open communication.
Application Instructions: Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by June 30th, 2020
with “Advocacy and Outreach Lead” in the subject line.
Clean Virginia is committed to a just, representative, and inclusive working environment. All interested individuals,
particularly people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are LGBTQ are urged to apply.
Advocacy and Outreach Lead
The Advocacy and Outreach Lead will be responsible for the development and implementation of advocacy
campaigns to promote Clean Virginia’s mission of clean energy and clean governance. They will be in charge of
building broad partner coalitions to achieve Clean Virginia’s legislative, electoral, and strategic priorities and will
work to identify, recruit, and train volunteers and activists to carry out year-round advocacy campaigns in support of
Clean Virginia’s goals. They will manage digital tools to convert Clean Virginia’s followers on social media and email
list into active and engaged supporters of Clean Virginia as well as generate opportunities for Clean Virginia to
reach new audiences, constituencies, and stakeholders.
This position works closely with the entire Clean Virginia team and reports directly to Clean Virginia’s
Communications Director. It is based in Charlottesville, VA, and requires a willingness and ability to travel around
the state and work outside of traditional hours as necessary.
Duties and responsibilities
● Build and manage statewide coalitions of partners across the political spectrum and in both the public and
private spheres to develop support for issues of concern to Clean Virginia.
● Design and implement a program for volunteer and activist engagement on crucial energy issues to educate
key constituencies and empower people to advocate for their communities with legislators, the State
Corporation Commission, local governments, etc.
● Develop statewide campaign plans for constituent engagement and activism — letters to the editor, lobby
days, educational efforts, lawmaker pressure campaigns, etc. — and design metrics to evaluate their
● Work closely with the political and policy team in managing strategic partners and allies and coordinating
grassroots efforts during the legislative session and Virginia’s election cycles.
● Maintain Clean Virginia’s supporter lists, developing and implementing advocacy campaigns using
EveryAction and NewMode.
● Ensure Clean Virginia’s strategic imperative of equity, justice, and inclusion is included in organizing efforts.
● Ensure compliance with federal and state regulations regarding 501(c)(4) and PAC activities.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is preferred.
● 2-4 years of professional experience with grassroots, nonprofit advocacy and/or campaign organizing is
preferred. Superior communication and interpersonal skills are a must; ability to work with multiple
stakeholder groups across a decentralized organization also necessary.
● A strong understanding of theories of change, engagement ladders, and best practices in advocacy.
● A collegial and collaborative work style, innovative thinking, strong work ethic, enthusiastic attitude, and a
sense of humor are essential.
● Strong administrative skills including computer word processing and database management.
● Experience working with CRM systems, WordPress, and digital organizing tools strongly preferred.
● A flexible approach to work, with a willingness to travel, as needed, and participate in programs occurring
after typical business hours.
● Strong demonstrated interest in government transparency, clean energy, people-powered change, and the
mission of Clean Virginia.
Clean Virginia offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits
that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
Job posted: 2020-06-09