Advocacy and Public Affairs Director
Are you a seasoned public relations and advocacy professional who wants to make a difference in the lives of others? Do you believe that homeownership is a life changing opportunity that can end generational poverty? Are you incredible at telling a story and helping move a needle? Can you instinctively see pathways to increase diversity, equity and inclusion in our community and help teach others how to see and speak about these important issues? Are your writing and speaking skills world-class? If so, our Advocacy and Public Affairs Director position might be perfect for you.
Habitat for Humanity of Omaha is seeking an experienced public relations and advocacy expert to help tell our stories to elected officials, the media, and the communities we serve. In this leadership role, you will be responsible for creation and implementation of our advocacy and PR strategies, crisis communication plans, and will often serve as the spokesperson for Habitat Omaha. You will guide our leadership team and staff, as wells as Habitat Omaha homeowners in telling their stories. You will serve as a thought-partner and advisor to the CEO as we strive to maximize our impact. Put your skills and experience to work by helping to strengthen and amplify the voices of those who we partner with—homeowners, neighbors, and clients—in an effort to affect positive change throughout our community. Come join us in growing Habitat Omaha’s impact!
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Advocacy Strategy: Develop and drive the organization’s advocacy strategy with the goal of advancing our mission.
• Legislation Tracking: Lead efforts to monitor legislation and agendas at multiple levels relating to housing, homeownership and other key issues that may impact the mission of Habitat Omaha. Create and deliver communications in support of or opposition to proposed legislation and actively promote new legislation as appropriate.
• Government Relations: Cultivate and maintain relationships with government and elected officials and their staff at the local, state and federal levels.
• Earned Media: Develop and drive media relations strategy, cultivate and maintain media relationships, create media alerts and press releases, respond to media inquiries, monitor earned media efforts and report on PR campaign results.
• PR Events: Organize PR events to increase awareness of our work and grow support of our mission.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY
Habitat for Humanity of Omaha (Habitat Omaha) actively recruits, employs, trains, compensates employees regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetics or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Habitat Omaha complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including workplace harassment.
At Habitat Omaha, we have a clear vision to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and to do their best work. Our vision is to see a world where everyone has a safe, affordable place to live, and we know our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees. Our dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism and inclusion is clearly reflected in the work that we do externally in the community, as well as internally with our employment practices.
Experience, Abilities and Qualifications:
• Minimum eight years of experience in Public Relations, Public Affairs, Communications, Government Relations or related fields.
• Demonstrated published work that shows strong writing skills.
• Demonstrated success in the development of public relations strategies.
• Experience working with confidential, high-risk or highly sensitive content.
• Demonstrated knowledge of local, state and federal governmental agencies and their processes
• Experience in a nonprofit organization preferred.
• Strategic thinking skills with the ability to develop and execute multi-year plans in coordination with strategic initiatives.
• Experience with and a strong desire to work within a diverse staff and community.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-14