Advocacy Specialist (Home Office – DC)
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer’s and all other dementia – by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we’ve been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last 12 years in a row.
The Advocacy Specialist, within the Public Policy Division’s Department of Advocacy, will assist in building and maintaining the Association’s overall grassroots capabilities. The position will assist in recruiting advocates in diverse communities and provide best practices and guidance to field staff for state advocacy programs. The Advocacy Specialist will assist in developing, launching and managing national and statewide grassroots campaigns to enhance the Association’s federal and state lobbying efforts
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assists in the design and implementation of training programs to assist both the Association chapter staff and grassroots leaders in volunteer management.
- Organizes and provides support on advocacy campaigns to recruit advocates in diverse communities.
- Provides planning and support of the Association’s annual Advocacy Forum in Washington, D.C.
- Assists Association field staff in planning and implementing annual state advocacy days, including advocate training and mobilization.
- Assist with nationwide advocate trainings, e-blasts and coordination of advocate mobilization.
- Assist Association field staff in growing and managing state grassroots leadership programs.
- Assist the Vice President of Advocacy in strategic management of grassroots programs and political engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-3 years experience in political, issue advocacy, or grassroots campaign-related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in advocacy/community organizing/mobilization, and grassroots campaigns
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with volunteers, staff, and the public as part of a team
- Experience in volunteer recruitment, management, and coalition building
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate clearly and accurately, with staff, volunteers, public officials, and outside organizations, in person, in writing, and over the telephone
- Proficient with Google suite, including spreadsheets. Familiarity with a CRM software and databases a plus
- Preferred – Written and oral communication skills in Spanish
- Ability and willingness to travel by ground and air transport up to 25%, including some overnight travel
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing, plus Caregiver Leave.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Job posted: 2021-07-20