Alliance Development Senior Manager, Western region (Advocacy Relations Senior Manager)
Reporting to the Director of Alliance Development (AD), the Alliance Development Senior Manager will support the implementation of an integrated external relationships and partner engagement strategy focused on advancing Amgen’s public policy imperatives. The role will work collaboratively with external, third party organizations to align and execute on the shared goals of Advocacy Relations (AR), State Government Affairs (SGA), Federal Government Affairs (FGA), and Corporate Communications to defend access and support innovation.
This role is a field-based role responsible for the western region – intended to encompass, and be located in any of, the following states (but note the strong preference is for the role to be based in Sacramento, California): California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Wisconsin, Illinois.
Key Responsibilities for this role include:
External partner responsibilities
- Build and maintain long-term, substantive relationships with patient groups, professional associations and all other partners based on values of trust, respect and transparency so that patients and providers systematically can engage decision- and policy-makers in all aspects of clinical development, healthcare delivery and access.
- Support patient access to medicines by working with patient groups and professional associations, and other partners and policy thought leaders to help support the value of innovation and address access barriers.
- Facilitate Amgen educational and advocacy activities for patient groups so the voice of patients is strengthened.
- Build and implement strategies to increase advocacy capacity within partner organizations
- Liaison with trade association state alliance development teams including PhRMA and BIO
- Liaison and lead engagement with aligned policy and legislative coalitions
- Conduct and inform on partner activity opposing Amgen priorities
- Direct strategy to expand Amgen’s strategic external partners at the state level
Internal partner responsibilities:
- Support the implementation of the US AD and associated goals.
- Support the implementation of the SGA and FGA strategy and related goals.
- Develop and maintain strong relationship with SGA leads in region and support collaborative plans regarding legislation engagement with third parties
- Develop State strategies and TA tactical operating plans that account for professional and patient advocacy opportunities aligned with Amgen policy goals
- Serve as an internal resource and find opportunities to increase disease awareness, and coordinate across functions around key areas of concern, such as access to therapies for patients.
- Work cross-functionally as a strong partner and collaborator.
- Manage and track AD state budget and AD compliance.
Travel: approximately 50% domestic
Doctorate degree and 2 years of legislative, alliance development, coalition, or advocacy experience
Master’s degree and 4 years of legislative, alliance development, coalition, or advocacy experience
Bachelor’s degree and 6 years of legislative, alliance development, coalition, or advocacy experience
Associate’s degree and 10 years of legislative, alliance development, coalition, or advocacy experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of legislative, alliance development, coalition, or advocacy experience
- 5+ years of experience in alliance development or with patient advocacy groups, professional (medical) associations, trade associations, and/or coalitions
- 3+ years of experience working for global pharmaceutical companies as a liaison with patient advocacy groups and/or professional associations OR with a trade association such as BIO or PhRMA
- Subject matter expertise in healthcare and pharmaceutical policy issues
- Sensitivity to diverse groups of people both internal and external with the ability to handle many different opinions and perspectives, including tolerance for ambiguity.
- Demonstrated reputation internally and externally as a well-respected, dynamic teammate
- Empathic and passionate individual with the ability to build meaningful connections with partners
- Dynamic public speaker with experience training teams or advocates
- Previous experience leading the development of professional medical society and patient advocacy strategies for pharmaceutical organizations.
- Previous experience as relationship manager for professional medical associations and patient advocacy groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of key external and internal trends affecting patient and consumer engagement; solid understanding and experience in new forms of patient/consumer interactions such as social media and patient online communities.
- Previous experience communicating the value of innovation and addressing access barriers to care.
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills and an ability to adapt one’s approach to a challenge, as well as excellent social skills.
- Ability to assimilate complex medical knowledge and complex policy issues and communicate to non-medical audiences.
- Capable of handling shifting priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Understands the pharma/biotech business model, regulatory process & compliance guidelines.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages uses its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world’s leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission – to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do!
At Amgen, contributions are recognized – and strong performance is rewarded. Regularly recognized as a “Best Place to Work,” we enable staff to chart their own career paths based on their unique talents by offering challenging assignments, active career development, mentorship and individual rewards.
If you’re seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you’ll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-10