Analyst, Government Affairs & Category
At the Hawthorne Gardening Company (HGC) we want our people to empower more people to garden no matter where and how they choose to grow. We accomplish this by encouraging people to live happier, healthier lives through gardening. If you also feel this way then you’d fit in great with us!
The Category and Government Affairs Analyst position is designed to support the government affairs team with data analysis, research, planning and coordination. The position will utilize data and strong analytics to make strategic recommendations on policy, enabling support for the category team and drive data utilization and optimization in support of the company business strategy.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Support the development of the state and local government affairs program.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory developments on key indoor agriculture and cannabis related public policy issues at the state and local level.
- Research the impacts of public policy issues on Hawthorne’s business and prepare reports, talking points, and other support materials as necessary.
- Assist with the development of external and internal communications to support the government affairs mission.
- Attend hearings, briefings and other external meetings as necessary.
- Ongoing product analysis support – understand the why behind data and who it connects with policy.
- Support creation and presentation of reports on trends, behaviors, product engagement, and performance.
- Identify key levers in the business and support goal-setting process for policy by uncovering trends.
- Collaborate with sourcing, marketing and operations teams to conduct in-depth quantitative analyses that guide strategic decisions.
- Establish rapport with other departments; build effective relationships, and share wins and successes.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and efficiencies, proactively question existing processes and procedures, and implement change to gain efficiencies.
- Technical Expertise – Demonstrates and maintains technical and professional skill and knowledge in position-related areas. Implement best practices to provide policy solutions to business problems. Stays current with latest trends and developments.
- Self-Management – Monitors priorities, manages time, resources and balances competing demands to ensure work is completed. Demonstrates a positive outlook, and remains calm and in control in stressful situations.
- Problem Solving – Uses logic and analytical methods to identify solutions resulting in effective problem resolution. Asks effective questions to gather information and data to clarify the details of the problem. Analyzes data, understands patterns and translates into meaningful information. Explores options and utilizes available information to recommend workable solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, and/or two to five years related experience.
- Experience in policy development and government affairs work
- Ability to travel 25%- 50%
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to motivate people.
- Organizing, planning, and problem solving skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work as a part of a team.
- Good statistical and numerical ability.
- Detailed oriented.
Disclaimer: The preceding job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by all individuals assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change.
Not interested in this role? Check out our other career opportunities and learn more about what it’s like to work at Hawthorne Gardening Company by accessing our Talent Network: HGC Talent Network
The Hawthorne Gardening Company is a start-up company focused on hydroponic gardening. Dedicated to creating high quality products founded in social and environmental responsibility. Backed by the largest lawn and garden company in the U.S. (Scotts Miracle-Gro, NYSE: SMG) we bring new ideas, values, and culture to our endeavors without the constraints of a large corporation. We are an energetic, progressive-minded, sustainability-focused group of highly-motivated individuals, eager to share our love of gardening with the world.
The brands and products within our portfolio include: Sunlight Supply, General Hydroponics, General Organics, Vermicrop, Botanicare, AeroGarden, CanFilters and Gavita Lighting.
Hawthorne Gardening Company is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free workplace.
EEO/AA Employer/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Notification to Agencies:
Please note that the Hawthorne Gardening Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Hawthorne Gardening Company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-24