Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Analyst, Public Policy North America
Mastercard’s Public Policy team protects and defends Mastercard’s reputational and legislative interests in markets around the world. We build programs that earn the goodwill of governments, policymakers, financial institutions, merchants, and consumers through direct policymaker engagements and public-private partnerships. Our aim is to build a platform for policies around the world that support Mastercard’s business priorities. This role forms part of the team driving Mastercard’s public policy advocacy efforts in North America.
The Analyst, Public Policy – North America reports directly to the Senior Vice President & Head of Government Affairs, North America and is based in our Washington DC office.
• A genuine interest in public policy, current events, and the political environment with the intellectual horsepower to grasp complex issues
• A flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities and willingness to work as part of a team
• Support North American public policy operations by developing strategies and insights that inform and guide advocacy operations
• Align business priorities with advocacy strategies
• Analyze the impact of legislation on the Company and develop strategies to mitigate risks or capitalize on the identified opportunities
• Identify opportunities for increased community engagement to promote corporate objectives and complement policy priorities
• Draft executive speeches and background materials prior to various advocacy engagements
• Prepare submissions to policymakers and agencies
• Work with internal stakeholders, policymakers, and industry experts to determine opportunities and risks to the Company from specific political, legislative, and regulatory developments
• Provide internal communications of legislative and political developments
• Draft talking points for internal and external distribution
• Align external messages with communications team
• Participate in associations and industry working groups to promote Mastercard’s positions and public policy objectives
• Manage communications for political action committee, and oversee internal growth strategies
All About You:
• Demonstrated experience in the political arena or analyst community
• Ability to craft and build public affairs strategies that support business growth within a dynamic and changing corporation
• Extensive experience creating and drafting compelling value propositions to important audiences both internal and external
• An intimate working knowledge of the legislative and political process with the capacity to understand complex legislative procedures and to work with broad coalitions
• Strong analytical approach to problem solving, ability to develop creative and practical solutions to complex problems, able to deal with short deadlines, and work productively in high pressure situations
• Proven ability to build collaborative working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders at the global/regional or local level
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills coupled with the ability to message complex issues in simple and concise ways
• Knowledge and experience of the financial services and payments sector is a plus. Experience in technology sector also a plus.
• Deep business acumen and experience in balancing commercial flexibility and risk management
• Entrepreneurial spirit with proven ability to operate in a corporate environment and experience operating in a matrix organizational structure
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Posted: April 5, 2017