Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Arizona Government Affairs Director
Your role stands at the intersection of government affairs and the fight to change the odds for historically underserved children and families. As a key member of Stand’s Arizona team at a moment of tremendous need and opportunity, you will be responsible for advocacy and direct lobbying in the statehouse and working with stakeholders to advocate for our supported policies. You will play a leading role in policy development and implementation of priority laws. And you will help set election strategy. Through your dedication and passionate approach to the role, you get the opportunity to work with colleagues who not only care deeply about justice and equity, but who are bold and strategic and take responsibility for achieving substantial progress toward our mission every year.
This is a remote position, must live in the Phoenix metro area.
Stand for Children is a unique catalyst for education equity and racial justice, to create a brighter future for us all.
Advocacy and Direct Lobbying
- Lobby legislators, the Governor’s Office, State Board of Education members, policy makers, and relevant stakeholders to advocate for Stand-supported policies and initiatives, with assistance from Stand’s contract lobbyists as needed
- Build and cultivate effective partnerships with legislators on both sides of the aisle, education leaders, and organizations
- Analyze relevant legislation and policy proposals, to determine alignment with Stand for Children’s mission and policy agenda
- Build and join coalitions of partner organizations to develop and implement policy initiatives and achieve campaign successes that create results for all children
- Partner with the Statewide Organizing Director to provide training around statewide policy initiatives, as needed, to Stand for Children Organizers as well as members and stakeholders
- Collaborate with other Stand for Children Policy and Government Affairs Directors from across the organization to share best practices
Policy Development and Implementation
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, research and develop annual policy goals that are aligned to Stand for Children’s mission and “Impact Agenda”
- Research, write, and present legislation that supports Stand for Children’s platform
- Monitor and advocate for the effective implementation of priority laws and budget line items to ensure they reach the classroom as intended, often in collaboration with coalition partners
- Set strategy and lead Stand for Children Arizona’s involvement in state legislative and statewide elections
- Manage the candidate endorsement process, the political contribution process, and effective involvement in campaigns
- Educate endorsed candidates for political office on education-related issues
- Recruit and train legislative champions in advance of statewide elections.
- Strong commitment to Stand for Children’s mission
- Proven commitment to racial equity and experience with applying a racial equity lens to policy strategy
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in policy development and advocacy, local electoral processes, and campaigns, and/or education reform
- Knowledge of local and state-level education policy necessary; existing relationships in state government and education
- Proven ability at building strong relationships and effective partnerships, as well as demonstrated skill with persuasion and influence critical
- Excellent project management skills and ability to juggle multiple and competing priorities
- Excellent communication skills, especially with regard to making complicated ideas compelling and accessible to the general public
- Ability to deliver, receive, and incorporate direct feedback effectively and respectfully
- Professional maturity and integrity, high level of self-direction and sense of urgency
- Comprehensive analytical, strategic thinking and problem-solving skills with the ability to plan and implement in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Valid driver’s license and access to transportation
- Ability to be stationary for extended periods of time and to travel to meetings outside of the office; Ability to lift more than 10 pounds, on occasion; May require the ability to climb stairs
SALARY: $81,181-$101,476 commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
Stand for Children has a Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon receiving an offer of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
Stand for Children consists of two separate entities. Stand for Children, Inc., a grassroots membership organization is exempt under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Stand for Children Leadership Center, a leadership development organization is exempt under section 501(c)(3)
Stand for Children and Stand for Children Leadership Center provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or marital status. We are committed to a diverse and culturally inclusive workplace in which our differences broaden our awareness, enrich our daily experiences and contribute to our collective strength. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other legally protected characteristics are never used to make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-09