Assistant Director, Federal Policy
The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) is seeking a Assistant Director of Federal Policy. NAEYC is a professional membership organization that works to promote high-quality early learning for all young children, birth through age 8, by connecting early childhood practice, policy, and research. NAEYC advances a diverse, dynamic early childhood profession and supports all who care for, educate, and work on behalf of young children.
The Assistant Director of Federal Policy manages NAEYC’s presence and influence in early childhood federal policy and advocacy. As part of the Policy and Professional Advancement team, and with support from the Managing Director and colleagues, this individual will be responsible for refining the federally-facing strategy, partnerships, and day-to-day activities that fit into the team’s vision and are required to advance NAEYC’s vision and goals for the early childhood profession and high-quality, developmentally-appropriate early childhood education.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Grow, strengthen, and develop relationships with Federal Administration Officials in key Departments and Congressional members and staff on key committees and in Congressional offices to educate them on our priority issues and ensure NAEYC is known as a thought and policy leader on early childhood education and the early childhood profession.
- Track, research and respond to existing, pending, and new federal legislation and regulatory issues affecting young children, families, and early childhood educators by developing legislative analysis and policy briefing papers, fact sheets, comment letters (individual and sign-on), and other communications.
- Partner and work in close collaboration with internal and external organizational partners, including managing the relationships with outside consultants, as needed.
- Work collaboratively within NAEYC and with external organizations to ensure alignment between federal and state policy agendas and member and Affiliate advocacy efforts
- Prepare and deliver presentations at national, regional, state and local conferences on behalf of NAEYC
- Provide lead coordination for Day on the Hill for the annual Public Policy Forum and joint coordination for the other days
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Training and Experience:
- Baccalaureate degree required; advanced degree in public policy or administration, nonprofit management, higher education, business administration and/or early childhood education/child development preferred.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in the areas of policy development, advocacy, and communication
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
- Previous experience with or on Capitol Hill / federal Administration a plus
- Must be able to travel
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-29