Assistant Director, Government Affairs
The Assistant Director, Government Affairs reports directly to the Director, Government Affairs and works with other senior staff in the Office of Government and Community Affairs to manage a portfolio of high-priority local government projects and issues.
- Serve as liaison with local governmental offices;
- Contribute to the development of effective outreach and communications strategies with elected officials and local government offices focused on Morningside, Manhattanville, and Greater NYC, in service of the University’s overall engagement efforts with government and community-based stakeholders;
- Communicate internally about local government priorities that impact various constituencies within the University;
- Engage internal stakeholders (administrators, students and student organizations, and faculty) in ongoing outreach efforts to local government and community partners;
- Conduct research related to ongoing projects and assist with the development and delivery of materials for meetings and events;
- Maintain current database of external stakeholder contacts and assist with the tracking of engagement efforts using relevant relationship-management tools;
- Manage compliance efforts with relevant NYS and NYS lobbying regulations;
- Regular attendance at outside meetings and events is expected, including those that typically occur during evening (and occasionally weekend) hours
Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required. Minimum 3-5 years of experience working in a government/community relations role and/or directly with relevant governmental or community-based organizations. S/he will possess effective oral and written communications skills as well as a proven ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple ongoing projects and issues. Bi-lingual, multi-lingual skills preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-09