Assistant Director, Governmental Affairs
This is a great opportunity to join a respected, dynamic and innovative public affairs team. Our team is seeking a motivated individual to fill a new role helping increase footwear advocacy as well as working with leading U.S. shoe executives and companies. The position is one where you can significantly grow professionally in the public affairs space, and it offers the opportunity for further advancement. This position provides a competitive salary, bonus opportunities, best-in-class benefits, and free shoes.
FDRA is the footwear industry’s largest and most respected trade association. It represents and speaks on behalf of over 95 percent of all shoe brands and retailers including NIKE, Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Target, Steve Madden, Sperry, Ugg, Brooks and many others. Situated between the White House and the U.S. Capitol, FDRA advocates on trade issues and regulations governing our industry.
FDRA works with CEOs and other C-suite leaders, providing them with political and policy intelligence to guide their businesses. It also develops and implements lobbying and advocacy strategies to fight for lowering footwear tariffs and increasing U.S. footwear jobs.
Seeking a professional with at least 2-3 years of Capitol Hill or government relations experience to help represent and advocate for the footwear industry. Candidate must be organized, motivated, able to tackle multiple projects, proficient in research and writing memos and briefing notes, and must be able to develop new advocacy ideas and strategies, work in a team environment, and demonstrate great communication skills. Trade policy experience will be given preferential treatment.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a proactive federal relations strategy.
- Research, analyze and track legislation and federal and state regulations.
- Oversee association’s grassroots advocacy execution [email campaigns – set up, stats, marketing]
- Draft policy papers, talking points, legislative summaries, and contribute regular news and analysis on relevant policy issues.
- Provide broad, flexible support to FDRA’s Governmental Affairs leadership, assisting with key projects on trade issues and legislation.
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Governmental Affairs, engage with Members of Congress and representatives of relevant federal agencies.
- Engage with partner organizations and advocacy coalitions by regularly participating in external meetings and identifying opportunities for collaboration and shared advocacy on issues.
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Governmental Affairs, help coordinate and develop content and presentations for newsletters and regular call updates to members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Travel and help present at workshops/conferences in New York and Portland, OR anywhere from 1 to 3 times per year.
The ideal candidate will have 2-3 years of prior professional experience in government, at an association, or public affairs firm working on policy and/or advocacy. They must demonstrate initiative, leadership, creativity, persistence and a willingness to learn. The following are required:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Diplomacy, tact and a strong customer service ethic
- Strong understanding of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects: grace under pressure
- Excellent communication (written & oral) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to conduct accurate legislative and policy research
- Ability to engage with C-suite executives as well as Members of Congress and their staff
Salary and Benefits:
FDRA (www.fdra.org) provides an excellent flexible work environment. We are working both remote and in-person in our office at Metro Center; the position provides you with your own office space. The position has a competitive salary and opportunity for a generous bonus. It provides outstanding health and first-in-class retirement benefits.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. ABSOLUTELY NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Applications will be reviewed as received with preference given to applications received by COB Monday, November 5, 2021. FDRA will contact qualified candidates and schedule zoom interviews with leadership in a timely manner. FDRA is looking to hire for this position by December 1, 2021.
Job posted: 2021-10-06