Assistant Director, Office of Public Policy and Advocacy
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) works in 190 countries and territories to put children first. UNICEF has helped save more children’s lives than any other humanitarian organization, by providing health care and immunizations, clean water and sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency relief and more. UNICEF USA supports UNICEF’s work through fundraising, advocacy and education in the United States. Together, we are working toward the day when no children die from preventable causes and every child has a safe and healthy childhood. For more information, visit www.unicefusa.org.
Assistant Director, Office of Public Policy and Advocacy (OPPA)
Reporting to the Managing Director for Public Policy and Advocacy, the Assistant Director will help to implement UNICEF USA’s advocacy and engagement objectives. This position will have overall responsibility for a variety of public policy issues relating to the work of UNICEF, including child survival and maternal health, basic education, early childhood development, and children in conflict and in difficult circumstances; engaging with both Congressional and NGO partners.
Key Responsibilities/Outcomes (include but are not limited to):
- Work with the Managing Director to implement strategies to maintain the U.S. Government’s annual voluntary contribution to UNICEF
- Under direction of Managing Director, coordinate advocacy initiatives on U.S. policy and budget issues that engage UNICEF UNITE volunteers, and influence the U.S. Congress and Administration, in coordination with the Advocacy and Engagement team
- Lead engagement with the US NGO community on issues relevant to UNICEF, ensuring UNICEF’s voice in NGO coalitions, and providing updates on NGO concerns to UNICEF HQ
- Represent UNICEF USA in advocacy meetings and events with other national committees
- Provide advocacy support as needed to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Board
- Lead advocacy and engagement team in coordinating with colleagues across departments to advance campaigns that integrate advocacy, marketing and fundraising
- Draft briefing documents and Congressional letters; maintain contact lists of Congressional staff; track progress of appropriations bills and reports
- Develop advocacy plans and materials for legislation relevant to UNICEF’s mission, including advocacy alerts for the website and social media
- Working with UNICEF, organize briefings on the Hill to highlight UNICEF’s expertise and programs on UNICEF priorities
- Provide OPPA oversight over advocacy issues and training for annual Advocacy Day in DC
- Manage advocacy engagement with UNICEF global campaigns and child rights and business initiatives, working with UNICEF USA Corporate and with UNICEF DOC and PFP
- Train (online and in-person) and advise UNICEF UNITE supporters and staff in engaging with government officials around UNICEF’s advocacy priorities throughout the year
- Advise on policy issues and grassroots advocacy opportunities at the state and local levels, including making recommendations on proposals from UNICEF UNITE volunteers
- Draft and edit content (blogs, articles) related to UNICEF USA’s public policy and advocacy work
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7 years’ work experience, with at least 5 years of experience in legislative affairs or international development
- Must have strong knowledge about the legislative process and advocacy, international development, and child protection and children’s rights issues; knowledge of UNICEF’s programs is a plus
- Must have excellent writing, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Must be willing to undertake some domestic and international travel
- Must possess a strong work ethic, have confidence, take initiative and be an enthusiastic team player
- Must share a strong commitment to international humanitarian relief and passionately embrace the mission of UNICEF USA
- Must demonstrate UNICEF USA Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork, and Service
Must possess current and valid US Work Authorization and be eligible to work for any US employer without sponsorship.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition, UNICEF USA offers a comprehensive benefits package.
UNICEF USA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-12-12