Assistant Director, Policy & Regulatory Affairs
Created by and for patient organizations over 100 years ago, the National Health Council brings diverse organizations together to forge consensus and drive patient-centered health policy. We promote increased access to affordable, high-value, sustainable health care. Made up of more than 140 national health- related organizations and businesses, the NHC’s core membership includes the nation’s leading patient organizations. Other members include health-related associations and nonprofit organizations including the provider, research, and family caregiver communities; and businesses representing biopharmaceutical, device, diagnostic, generic drug, and payer organizations.
The NHC provides access to deep policy resources and expertise on a broad range of complex issues that impact all people with chronic conditions. We advocate for medical innovations that reflect priorities by patients and their family caregivers. We promote increased access to affordable, high-value, sustainable health care.
The NHC’s broad public policy agenda is set by our Board of Directors, including the Board Policy Committee, both of which are multi-stakeholder bodies with patient advocacy group leaders as majority members. Throughout the year, multi-stakeholder Action Teams explore the policy goals set by the Board, analyze current legislation and the environment, and provide recommendations and strategic direction.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Assistant Director, Policy, assists in driving the NHC’s policy and advocacy agenda. This individual will be involved in all aspects of the NHC’s public policy, legislative, and regulatory agendas with primary responsibility for the NHC’s Health Equity Initiative. This includes policy analysis, drafting comments, planning and leading meetings for NHC member organizations, and building and maintaining relationships with policymakers and other stakeholders in the health policy community.
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Policy and Government Affairs
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Regularly monitor and analyze health care-related legislation and regulation. Issues may include, but are not limited to, health equity, the Affordable Care Act, FDA user fee implementation, health care payment and delivery models, health care and drug costs and prices, value assessment, and health care quality measurement and programs
- Lead planning and implementation of the NHC’s Health Equity Initiative
- Draft and prepare advocacy materials such as comment letters, position statements, talking points, and blog posts
- Build and maintain relationships with key Federal agency personnel
- Conduct regular meetings of NHC member-organization working groups to discuss policy issues and develop advocacy strategies
- Develop and implement tactical plans derived from Board-developed advocacy goals
- Represent the NHC at external stakeholder meetings
- Present on behalf of the NHC in a variety of public and professional settings
- Assist department colleagues with programmatic initiatives as needed
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree at a minimum
- Minimum 5 years of combined Capitol Hill, Executive Branch, government relations, and/or public policy experience
- Experience working for a non-profit patient advocacy organization or association preferred but not required
- Experience drafting and/or analyzing and crafting responses to health care legislation and/or regulation
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of and experience with health care policy
- Strong writing skills
- Superior interpersonal, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and resource management skills, including the ability to prioritize and handle multiple, simultaneous priorities
Applicants should submit the following items to NHCPositions@nhcouncil.org:
- Cover letter describing the applicant’s experience and interests in the National Health Council’s mission and priorities
- List of three references, with name, title, organization, email address and telephone number
- Desired salary range
Job posted: 2021-07-27