Assistant Director, U.S. Government Relations
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality.
Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment towards reaching a common goal of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. When you work for ONE, you will receive an exceptional benefits package along with the opportunity to contribute to worldwide causes impacting those most in need!
The Assistant Director will serve as a key member on the US Government Relations team, working with the Senior Director to execute comprehensive strategies to promote and defend ONE’s positions on global health, agriculture, transparency, economic development and other key policy issues. This role will represent ONE’s positions directly with government policymakers (legislative and executive branch) and maintain a robust network of contacts throughout the U.S. government.
They will work closely with leadership in planning, implementing and evaluating ONE’s advocacy campaigns with our ONE membership and the public. The ideal candidate will bring experience and connections from the advocacy or legislative sectors, be upbeat and motivated, work well in a team, and have a problem-solving demeanor.
This is a full-time, exempt opportunity reporting directly to the Senior Director of Government Relations, based in our Washington, D.C. office.
The selected candidate will be required to register under the U.S. Federal Lobbying Disclosure Act.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Assist the team in executing ONE’s legislative and advocacy strategy, establishing and implementing short- and long-term organizational objectives, policies, and operating procedures with other teams within the organization, making recommendations on related policies
- Work alongside the Senior Director to cultivate and maintain effective relationships with critical U.S. policy makers to advance ONE’s policy priorities
- Monitor appropriations and authorization hearings, advocate on current or proposed legislation and amendments, and build new legislative vehicles
- Represent ONE’s positions externally with nonprofits, public interest groups and other organizations
- Liaise with colleagues within the organization to guide and service supporters on grassroots and field strategies and actions to advance legislative priorities
- Participate in projects, committees and task forces as assigned
- Additional duties assigned as needed
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Prefer eight years of total work experience with an extensive legislative, policy, or issue-advocacy background. Strong existing relationships and the ability to influence a must
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with specialization in communicating to diverse audiences
- Passion for eradicating poverty and preventable disease
- Demonstrated track record of interest in and understanding of U.S. legislative process
- Team-player with superior interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make wise decisions
- Capable of maintaining the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Demonstrated expertise in the legislative branch and/or advocacy
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Experience managing multiple, shifting priorities under tight timelines, leading in strategic team conversations and team projects, while performing in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Genuine interest and passion for ONE’s issues and priorities.
- Highly organized, detailed and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Self-directed and results focused
- Flexible and innovative approach
- Independent problem solver
Proficiency in English required.
Travel up to 20% international and/or domestic
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web; www.one.org/us/about/contact/). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job posted: 2020-09-22