Assistant Editor/Public Affairs Coordinator
This position description is intended to serve as a summary of the general purpose and essential functions of the position. It may change as circumstances warrant and may include the performance of other duties as required.
Purpose of Position The Assistant Editor/Public Affairs Coordinator (AE/PAC) reports to the Director of Communications and is part of the Communications Department. The AE/PAC assists in writing, editing and producing print, email, and web publications; the AE/PAC also creates and updates content for the NAHRO website, the Journal of Housing and Community Development website, and for NAHRO’s social media accounts. The AE/PAC assists with media outreach and public education activities and will have the opportunity to manage and grow the Housing America public affairs campaign. Finally, the AE/PAC will serve as staff liaison for the Housing America Task Force and other NAHRO committees/task forces as required.
Essential Duties/Functions of the Position
- Writes articles for and assists with the editing and production of the NAHRO Monitor, the Journal of Housing and Community Development, and other publications
- Creates content for and updates the NAHRO and Housing America websites
- Works on general writing and editing assignments
- Develops marketing, educational, and promotional materials for other departments as needed
- Creates content for and assists with the management of NAHRO’s social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Collects news articles for use in Clips emails, social media and/or news briefs
- With Director of Communications, manages media lists and drafts press releases, statements, and other material for media consumption
- With Director of Communications, manages the Housing America campaign and the annual “What Home Means to Me” poster calendar contest
- Coordinates planning and logistics for NAHRO press and visibility events
- Serves as staff liaison for the Housing America Task Force and other committees/task forces as required
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills
- Excellent organizational ability
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with strict deadlines
- Some familiarity with email marketing software programs (we use Informz), web content management systems (we use WordPress and Weebly), and graphic design/publication software (we use Canva, InDesign, and Photoshop)
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism or equivalent
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience writing for print or digital media
- Experience with media relations or communications
- Experience with social media management
- Association experience, including committee liaison work
- Familiarity with Cision PR software
- Expertise with email marketing software
- Expertise with InDesign and Photoshop
Must be able to travel. Salary commensurate with experience.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; deferred compensation plan (401 k), annual and sick leave, and paid (all) federal holidays. Compensation: Low to mid-$40s.
How to apply Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: Assistant Editor/Public Affairs Coordinator Email inquiries only
NAHRO, established in 1933, is a membership organization of almost 20,000 housing and community development agencies and professionals throughout the United States whose mission is to create affordable housing and safe, viable communities that enhance the quality of life for all Americans, especially those of low- and moderate-income. NAHRO’s membership administers more than 3 million housing units for 7.6 million people.
NAHRO is committed to providing equal opportunity for all persons and to prohibiting discrimination because of race, sex, national origin, marital status, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, status as a veteran, or any other protected status and/or conditions specified in federal and local civil rights laws.
Job posted: 2020-06-30