Assistant Manager, International Government Relations
There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
Job Summary:General Motors’ Global Public Policy team supports the company’s growth goals and strategies by proactively addressing global policies and government affairs matters impacting the business. GM’s Global Public Policy team works to educate key government stakeholders and organizations on GM’s global activities and further the company’s business directives. Since GM’s operations encompass diverse markets with varying consumer needs, it is vital for the company to have a diverse and adept Global Public Policy team that can fully understand the international, comprehensive approach needed to engage the company’s key audiences.Job Details: The Assistant Manager International Government Relations reports to the Manager for International Government Relations. The person will be a key member of GM’s Global Public Policy team responsible for supporting the broad policy agenda of the company and the team’s efforts in addressing global and domestic policies and government affairs matters impacting the company. The Assistant Manager will support the globally dispersed International Government Relations team and international-focused segments of the U.S Federal Affairs team on a wide range of issues. This role requires a highly organized individual with well-developed communication skills that will be part of a dynamic team developing advocacy approaches for GM’s business interests and helping to implement key strategies to achieve company goals. The responsibilities of the Assistant Manager include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Contributes to development of global public policy and government relations strategy;
- Supports GM’s outreach with key U.S. and international government agencies and officials who focus on international trade, economic and commercial policies and regulations;
- Develops written briefing materials for GPP leaders that concisely summarize issues and prepares leaders for meetings with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Conducts analysis and prepares insightful reports on important political and regulatory topics for GPP and other senior GM leadership.
- Supports international and trade-focused Congressional engagement and strategy development.
- Coordinates reporting requirements across the GPP International organization to support broader GPP information flow to GPP Leadership and GM Senior Leadership Teams;
- Facilitates GM sponsorship of and coordinates GM participation in brand-enhancing events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Highly developed verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated expertise working with both U.S. and foreign executive branch government officials working across cultures and time zones mandatory; experience working with federal government including an understanding of Congressional processes a plus.
- High level of enthusiasm, persistence, initiative, and experienced judgment to identify priorities, initiate projects, and complete activities with a strong sense of urgency
- Knowledge and understanding of key policy issues of interest to the auto industry (e.g., economic competitiveness, trade policy impact, environmental issues, overall regulatory issues, vehicle safety issues)
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships across diverse organizations and work with cross-functional teams to achieve results.
- Ability to successfully perform in fast paced work environments
- Clear reputation for ethical conduct; integrity; diversity, equity and inclusion goals; and confidentiality
- Keen attention to detail, results driven, proactive, ability to develop new and creative ideas
- Ability to think strategically and quickly analyze situations and implement an appropriate course of action
- Proven work experience as a project manager with a successful project delivery record
- Bachelor’s Degree required, with proven experience in government, public affairs, communications, or a related field
- 7+ years of relevant experience
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-05