Assistant Political & Legislative Director
International labor union dedicated to social justice and worker rights issues seeks an Assistant Political and Legislative Director in the Washington, D.C. metro-area who will work closely with the Organization’s President, Political/Legislative Director, and staff to execute all strategic functions and to strengthen the Organization’s internal and external political and legislative program.
The position reports to the Organization’s Political/Legislative Director.
- Develop and strengthen the Organization’s political program by mobilizing and continuously engaging affiliated local unions and members in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Organization’s internal and external political and legislative campaigns.
- Recruit, educate, and develop political activists to be engaged in the local, state, and federal electoral process.
- Implement strategic fundraising plans to promote and grow the Political Action Campaign fund.
- Liaise with affiliated local unions as well as with National, state, and local labor organizations (ex. AFL-CIO) to ensure the integration of the Organization’s political/legislative programs and agenda.
- Liaise with National, state, and local political leaders and staffers regarding issues that impact the Organization, its affiliated local unions, and/or membership.
- Translate the work of the Organization’s political/legislative agenda/programs into applicable messages, presentations, trainings, strategies, and tactics for campaigns.
- Assist with legislative duties as needed and provide strategic support to the IATSE’s organizing projects.
- Prepare reports, track department goals, maintain internal databases, research electoral and legislative information, and utilize online resources (ex. Labor Action Network).
- Represent the Organization at key tables, coalitions, and meetings with outside groups.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in national and local political program development and implementation.
- Significant experience with organizing in any of the following areas: internal, external, grassroots, or political organizing.
- Experience with managing field and membership mobilization programs.
- Leadership experience working with the labor movement.
- Demonstrated ability to build and strengthen key relationships with politicians, allies, community groups.
- Knowledge and understanding of local, state, and federal political and legislative processes.
- Excellent project management skills and an ability to handle high priority projects.
- Self-starter with an ability to work independently, use problem solving skills, as well as work collaboratively within a team and other departments in the Organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to develop a persuasive message.
- Willingness and capacity to work long hours and weekends with ability to travel.
- Strong commitment to the labor movement and social justice.
We offer a competitive salary, excellent health and retirement benefits, generous holiday and vacation package.
We are an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-01