Assistant Vice President, Community and Government Relations
American University (AU) in Washington, DC is recruiting for an Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Community and Government Relations. Reporting to the Office of the President, the AVP will help lead AU’s engagement and relationships with the DC government; further develop AU’s collaborative work with other local colleges and universities; and direct strategic engagement with our neighboring communities and related committees. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a background in government relations, particularly with the DC government, and neighborhood/community relations, and who thrives at making connections between people and organizations.
The main responsibilities of this position include:
- Oversee government relations, primarily with the DC government: This includes representing AU on legislative and regulatory issues with representatives of the Mayor’s office, city agencies, and councilmembers offices.The AVP will monitor and report relevant activities of the Mayor’s office, city agencies, and the DC City Council, as well as relevant activities of the federal government.
- Point person for campus planning process: The AVP will work collaboratively with stakeholders in coordinating the development and oversight of the new campus plan. This will include working closely with community members.It will also require working with a wide range of internal stakeholders at the university.
- Lead neighborhood relations:The AVP will chair the partnership between AU and local working groups, businesses, and neighborhood groups and partner with campus stakeholders to develop engagement strategies to maximize relationships with local neighborhood groups and resources.
American University (AU) is one of the largest employers in Washington, DC and consistently ranks among the nation’s great universities. Our student body is cosmopolitan and globally diverse, with over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students represented by all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 150 countries. Throughout our history, the engagement, inclusiveness and diversity of AU’s faculty, staff, and students have been hallmarks of the university.
We offer a competitive benefits package including a 2:1 matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, 5 leadership development certificates, and have been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite. For more information regarding our benefits and life at AU please visit http://www.american.edu/hr/Benefits.cfm.
- This position will supervise the Director of Community Relations
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Division Leader B
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
10+ years of relevant experience
Experience in DC Gov agencies or Councilmember’s office
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.
Location of the position:
4400 Massachusetts Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20016
United States of America
Job posted: 2018-11-15