Associate, Consumer and Corporate Communications
Since 1984, Share Our Strength® has led the fight against hunger and poverty by inspiring and organizing individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Today, through the No Kid Hungry and Cooking Matters campaigns, Share Our Strength is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need. No child should go hungry in America – we’re on our way to making that a reality and we want you to join us. We’re bold, creative, always open to new ideas and 100% dedicated to our mission. If that sounds like you, we’d like you to consider becoming part of our team.
The Associate, Consumer and Corporate Communications helps advance the mission of Share Our Strength and its No Kid Hungry campaign by coordinating and supporting communications activities that raise awareness of the No Kid Hungry brand and its corporate partner activations among a national consumer audience. Under the supervision of the Manager, Corporate Communications, the Associate supports and helps to execute high-profile, unique corporate engagement and consumer public relations initiatives. The Associate also provides administrative and communications coordination support to the Consumer & Corporate Communications team.
The role is preferably based in Washington, DC, but could be fully remote for the right candidate. Range for offers: $55,000 – $60,000.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the planning and execution of No Kid Hungry’s consumer and corporate PR initiatives—including annual tentpole campaigns and national consumer media strategy—through activities such as research, writing, reporting, and logistical support.
- Help to develop and review PR materials, including press releases, talking points, and other written materials for corporate partners, champions, and influencers communicating on behalf of No Kid Hungry.
- Support media pitching efforts and interview coordination.
- Brainstorm and contribute to the development of new ideas and concepts that increase visibility for existing and potential corporate partners.
- Support the delivery of corporate partnerships communications benefits, working with various units within the communications and corporate partnership teams.
- Lead the monitoring and reporting process for consumer media coverage including corporate partner mentions, celebrity and chef initiatives, and general No Kid Hungry news.
- Lead the tracking and reporting process for other corporate and consumer communications activities, as assigned.
- Lead PO and invoice processing, shipping, and other administrative duties.
- Partners with colleagues to support Share Our Strength’s work to be a diverse and inclusive organization, and ensuring this value is embedded in the organization and throughout our work.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, or related field preferred, but not required.
- Two years of relevant experience, preferably in an agency or non-profit.
- Experience writing talking points, social media messaging, and/or briefing materials.
- Excellent written and verbal persuasive communication skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Experience in public relations or corporate communications a plus.
- Hands-on experience working with local, regional and national media including traditional print, radio, and television reporters and producers.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, prioritize tasks and projects, and handle challenging situations with grace.
- Highly organized with ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills, including the ability to identify and work through challenges, underscored by strong judgment and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on multi-step, detail-oriented projects in a fluid environment.
- Proficient in MS Office; experience with Cision or similar software a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated interest in food justice, anti-hunger, and/or anti-poverty issues.
At Share Our Strength, we value an individual’s diversity of backgrounds, experiences, ideas and perspectives. A hallmark of our history, culture and values has been the organization’s desire to bring together motivated, intelligent, and talented people to work together to find and implement solutions to end hunger and poverty in the U.S. and abroad. We each come to Share Our Strength with a unique background, but together we form a team that yields amazing results. This shared value of encouraging and embracing diversity in our organization fosters a workplace and culture that is highlighted for its innovation, open expression of ideas, and collaboration. With a strong shared commitment to the organization’s mission, and a unique blend of individual strengths, we are all working toward ensuring that every individual can live a healthy and productive life.
Job posted: 2021-09-01