QTI Executive & Professional Search, Inc. on behalf of CUNA, Inc.
CUNA, Inc. is excited to announce an opening for an Associate Director of Advocacy! This is your opportunity to make a difference for an organization that does incredible good for America’s savers, borrowers and credit unions that serve them.
- Engage in direct legislative advocacy with Members of Congress and staff on Capitol Hill on all issues of concern to credit unions, in coordination with the department leadership.
- Establish and maintain relationships with legislative aides on both sides of Capitol Hill. Use extensive member and staff network to convey CUNAs concerns on issues effecting credit unions.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other industry representatives.
- Support the Advocacy Team efforts related to regulatory affairs and state governmental affairs.
- Collaborate with other CUNA staff: look for opportunities to provide support within and outside of the Advocacy Analyze legislative issues and their potential impact on credit unions. Anticipate their course through Congress and advise the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer and Chief Advocacy Officer.
- Write legislative updates, reports, and Hill letters; contribute to the development of testimony; and prepare written materials for CUNA meetings and committees describing legislative impact and considerations.
- In coordination with the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer, work with Political Affairs Staff to influence CUNA political strategy
- Represent CUNA at Congressional meetings, league and credit union functions, including oral presentations at conferences.
Bachelor degree in political science or related field; advanced studies in government or legal degree preferred. At least 7 years of experience working in legislative affairs, lobbying, political intelligence, financial services, or in positions that have similar focus. Removing barriers so that credit unions can more fully serve their members is a top priority for CUNA, and a key component of the credit union system vision. The Associate Director of Advocacy plays a significant role in the achievement of this priority by working with the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer and other Advocacy Team members to ensure that the statutory and regulatory environment under which credit unions operate is as favorable as possible.
This position undertakes an advocacy role on a range of issues affecting credit unions. As such, the position requires an understanding of the legislative process and a well-developed and well-maintained network of Congressional and industry contacts. The person in this position must not only know the process and the policy but also be able to understand and convey the impact on credit unions. It also requires the ability to persuade others of the merits of CUNA’s positions and to handle a number of complex issues at the same time, while dealing with a variety of personalities who affect the legislative process.
The position further requires the ability to make well-reasoned judgments, foresee possible outcomes and communicate, through written and oral communications, complicated issues to members, legislators, their staff and others in an informative and easily understood manner. The person in this position is expected to contribute to the development of key arguments and message points on the most critical legislative issues facing credit unions, and will be expected to maintain subject matter expertise all legislative issues relevant to credit unions.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 8, 2017