Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Director of Communications
National Foster Youth Institute (NFYI)
Founded by Congressmember Karen Bass in 2012, NFYI is dedicated to ensuring that current and former foster youth have a seat at the table alongside legislators, policymakers, decision makers, families, and advocates. We believe that truly transformative foster care reform is possible only when individuals who have personally experienced the child welfare system have leadership roles in changing it. NFYI creates pipelines of leadership that connect current and former foster youth with decision makers to change the systems that impact them. We do that by building relationships with Members of Congress, training, and empowering foster youth and families to make their voices heard, and by organizing grassroots support for child welfare reform.
We are at a pivotal moment in our organization’s history as we build on past successes and extend our reach. NFYI seeks an energetic Associate Director of Communications to join our team that will and help the organization to achieve even greater impact for foster youth and their families.
The Associate Director of Communications brings passion, strategy, and creativity to telling the story of NFYI and respectfully centering the voices of current and former foster youth. Every day will be different and impactful. You may spend one day preparing a 20-year-old foster youth to appear on local news, the next speaking with a Member of Congress about how one of our events influenced their child welfare legislation, and the next creating engaging videos for social media. Flexibility, big picture thinking, and being organized are some keys to success for this role.
This position will help NFYI increase its visibility, lift up #FosterYouthVoices, develop effective messaging, expand earned media opportunities, and use traditional and social media to reach additional members, and donors, and decisionmakers. The Associate Director of Communications will write and create content, guide the organization in communicating with members/potential members across the country, pitch, and place stories/interviews/op-eds, work closely with the development and programs departments, and serve as an NFYI spokesperson. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, collaborative professional with proven success in communications and outreach, and a commitment to helping current and former foster youth tell their personal stories to advocate for change in the child welfare system. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Create and execute all external communications. This includes press releases, talking points, op-eds, newsletter and fundraising emails, social media posts, social media community relations, website content, video and event scripts, online advertising, presentation materials, promotional and fundraising collateral, etc.
- Manage public relations, including developing press relationships, generating earned media, responding to interview requests and keeping a growing media list.
- Manage and update NFYI’s photo/video library, story bank, and videos.
- Maintain, update, and analyze social media channels regularly.
- Supervise relevant vendors.
- Design collateral including invites, brochures, presentations, and signage.
- Develop and execute digital fundraising strategies.
- Assist in the promotion of fundraising and programmatic events.
- Maintain and educate staff on branding guidelines and communications best practices.
- Track analytics.
- Some travel required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience or interest in child welfare policy, grassroots organizing, or youth leadership development.
- College degree and a minimum of three years of experience working in a communications role.
- Proven and successful track record of developing communications and outreach.
- Exceptional written communication skills for a variety of projects, including solicitation letters, newsletters, social media, email, and web communications.
- Attention to detail.
- Eye for design and an ability to create informative and eye-catching graphics, knowledge of design software.
- Ability to build partnerships with funders, organizations, elected officials, and youth.
- Experience and passion for working with young adults.
- Familiarity with/ability to learn content management systems (i.e., Constant Contact) and email marketing software
This is an opportunity to have a real impact and create real potential for growth. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with the subject: Associate Director of Communications.
Job posted: 2022-09-18