Associate Director Of Communications
The Plastics Industry Association (PLASTICS) represents the entire plastics supply chain and nearly one million employees in North America, leading efforts to create economic growth and jobs, technological innovation, and a sustainable industry that delivers unmatched value, estimated at over a half-trillion dollars worldwide last year, to businesses and consumers. Our members operate in sectors from energy and transportation, to nutrition and healthcare. The possibilities of plastics are limitless.
Reporting to the Vice President of Advocacy & Voice, the Associate Communications Director promotes the plastics industry to a variety of audiences, including PLASTICS members and the public at large, generating press releases, statements, blog posts, opinion columns, talking points, speeches, congressional testimony and other written material in print and online formats. Working with the entire Marketing and Communications Department to enhance PLASTICS’ brand and our industry’s global reputation, the position also works cross-departmentally with legislative, economic and membership staff to write and edit digital newsletters, email marketing campaigns and advertising copy to increase engagement among current and prospective members.
What You’ll Do:
•. Conceive broad messaging strategy to promote plastics and counter misconceptions.
• Write compelling short- and longform content telling the story of plastics.
• Help industry and government affairs staff to translate technical and legislative issues for laypeople.
• Distill complex economic and political topics for PLASTICS members who must understand the impact on their businesses.
• Monitor trade, local and national media for potential problems and opportunities; field press requests and prepare pointed responses.
• Coordinate media relations for NPE: The Plastics Show, one of the world’s largest international plastics trade shows.
• Edit and design semi-annual PLASTICS Magazine.
• Curate and edit biweekly newsletters insidePLASTICS and Advocacy Regrind.
• Contribute smart, lively marketing copy to advertisements our design staff creates.
• Proofread all communications and marketing material; accentuate the human voice.
• Other duties as assigned by the VP, Advocacy & Voice.
• Have fun in your job.
Essential Skills & Standards:
• Strong writing and editing ability.
• Knowledge of Associated Press style.
• Understanding of social media trends and tactics.
• Media and political savvy.
• Fondness for in-depth research.
• Layout and design aptitude.
• Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to complete multiple tasks on deadline.
• Detail-oriented with ability to work independently.
• Adhere to all relevant PLASTICS policies and procedures.
• Work collaboratively with PLASTICS staff and members.
• Communication with members is a top priority.
• College degree in communications, journalism, history, political science, English.
• Minimum five to seven years’ experience in journalism, public relations, or professional communications environment.
• Washington D.C.-area candidates preferred
The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical. Highly collaborative work style required. A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently. Excellent writing, editing and project management skills required. Self-starter needed to manage a project from start through completion. Ability to prioritize and to work on a variety of projects simultaneously. High-level focus on details and accuracy. Willingness to travel.
About Us: PLASTICS is a dynamic organization with an ambitious team, striving for growth and success. Together we shape the direction of the entire plastics industry. Employees have the opportunity to grow, learn, and impact both the industry and our association. We are passionate about sustainability and recycling initiatives.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision and life insurance, competitive salaries and a 401(k) plan with employer contributions. We work hard, we play hard and we value a work-life balance. To learn more about PLASTICS, go to plasticsindustry.org.
Job posted: 2020-09-08