Associate Director of Communications and Marketing
Silver Lining Mentoring (SLM) empowers youth in foster care to thrive through committed mentoring relationships and the development of essential life skills. For over ten years, Silver Lining Mentoring has enjoyed continuous growth and success in matching youth in the child welfare system with highly committed volunteer mentors. Silver Lining Mentoring works with young people who are preparing to age out of the child welfare system by teaching critical life skills to help teens successfully transition to adulthood.
Silver Lining continues to be among only a few mentoring organizations in the United States, and the only mentoring organization in Massachusetts, that exclusively serves the unique needs of youth in the foster care system. Silver Lining offers three core services to youth impacted by the child welfare system, Community Based Mentoring, which provides one-to-one volunteer mentorships to youth ages seven and older, Learn and Earn which provides life skills development and leadership opportunities to young people ages 16 and older and new initiative, Young Adult Mentoring which provides young adults over age 18 with a committed mentoring relationship to help them navigate their independent living goals. All programs promote social skills, cultivate positive relationships and a sense of community, build self-esteem, and equip youth with skills and relationships critical to their healthy development and successful transition into adulthood.
For more information on our work, our supporters and the incredible young people we serve, please visit:
The Associate Director of Communications and Marketing will serve as SLM’s chief storyteller and play a leadership role in developing and implementing a comprehensive communications campaign to expand SLM’s impact and visibility – both in Massachusetts and nationally.
This is an exciting time at Silver Lining Mentoring as we work to implement a scale plan to double the number of young people served in Massachusetts through mentoring programs by 2025 and to launch the national Silver Lining Institute to establish SLM as the premier thought leader for mentorship for youth in foster care. The Associate Director of Communications and Marketing will play a leadership role in designing and executing a communications campaign to support the launch of the Silver Lining Institute and SLM’s work to influence field of mentorship for youth impacted by foster care through direct service delivery, policy and systems reform, and national dialogue.
The Associate Director of Communications and Marketing will also design a communications and marketing strategy to expand visibility of SLM’s work to expand community-based mentoring in Greater Boston. In leading communications and marketing efforts to support both local and national growth, the Associate Director of Communications and Marketing will help to develop a public narrative campaign to raise awareness about the unique needs of youth impacted by foster care; develop compelling content that engages different audiences on the importance of SLM’s mission and vision; manage all elements of SLM’s website; develop a suite of marketing materials to promote SLM’s local direct service and national thought leadership work; increase public awareness through social media; work collaboratively to track analytics and capture and communicate program impact; and engage strategically with a diverse array of stakeholders – including SLM executive leadership, Board members, communications partners, and SLM spokespeople to advance SLM’s communications strategy. The Associate Director of Communications and Marketing will ensure all communications and marketing efforts embody SLM’s values.
This position reports to the Director of Development and also works closely with the Executive Director of the local chapter, the CEO of the Silver Lining Institute, Silver Lining’s Deputy Director, and other members of the Institute and Boston leadership teams as well as external consultants as needed.
Design and Implement Communications and Marketing Strategy Locally and Nationally
· Design and implement a comprehensive communications and marketing plan with specific and measurable goals to enhance SLM’s visibility and impact – both locally and nationally, through strategies such as a needs assessment, landscape analysis, distribution channel analysis, message testing, brand consistency, content creation, distribution, and evaluation.
· In partnership with leadership of the Silver Lining Mentoring Institute and consultants, design and execute high-level marketing and branding strategy that facilitates visibility for SLM’s position as the premier thought leader for mentorship of youth impacted in foster care: through direct service delivery, policy and systems reform, and national dialogue.
· Develop high-level communications strategy to expand visibility of SLM’s work in Greater Boston – supporting activities that promote effective mentor recruitment and achievement of SLM’s scale plan to double the number of youth participating in community-based mentoring to 500 by 2025.
· Discover and develop stories of SLM’s community and impact and devise and execute strategies for sharing with SLM stakeholders, particularly donors.
· Steer the written and electronic communications, marketing, and public relations efforts of the organization in collaboration with the Silver Lining Institute to ensure that key messages are conveyed strategically to a range of audiences including individuals, corporate sponsors, foundation leaders, media sponsors, and government officials.
· Develop strategy to effectively engage media – television, print, radio etc. – to expand awareness of the importance of SLM’s mission and vision.
· Serve as a convener and strategically engage a diverse array of stakeholders to advance SLM’s communications and marketing strategy – including SLM executive leadership, Board members, the Participant Advisory Board of young leaders, mentors, communications partners, SLM spokespersons, and staff.
· Lead the creation and execution of events communications and support events as needed, in particular for Match, SLM’s annual fundraising gala, as well as events that advance the work of the local SLM chapter and Silver Lining Institute.
Write Compelling Content
· In partnership with leadership of the Institute and Boston executive teams, develop a public narrative campaign to raise awareness about the unique needs of youth impacted by foster care.
· Develop compelling content and a suite of marketing materials that engage different audiences on the importance of SLM’s mission and vision – both locally and nationally.
· Develop messaging toolkit and training to effectively equip SLM spokespersons to serve as brand ambassadors, including members of the SLM Board of Directors and young leaders on the Participant Advisory Board, SLM mentors, supporters, staff, and partners.
Maintain Web Platforms and Collateral Materials
· Manage all elements of SLM’s website, increase public awareness through social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, You Tube etc.), and measure impact across platforms.
· Maintain and grow inventory of photo and video content, blog content, marketing materials, brochures, and promotional materials.
· Work collaboratively with key internal stakeholders and partners to track analytics and capture and communicate program impact. The Associate Director of Communications and Marketing will maintain strong working relationships with program and evaluation staff to be able to communicate program impact via the web and social media.
· Provide support for SLM-related presentations including producing speeches, slides, and supplemental materials.
· Ability to take initiative, construct, articulate, and implement short-term and long-term strategic communications plans.
- Excellent stakeholder engagement skills, with demonstrated ability to lead, collaborate, and motivate in a creative and fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated results-orientation with proven track record of communications success.
· Effective planning, organizational, and time management skills and keen attention to detail.
· Ability to multi-task and adapt to a fluid and evolving organizational environment.
· Commitment to social justice and cultural responsiveness.
· Flexible style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical communications initiatives.
· Ability to work both independently and as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels and backgrounds within and outside of Silver Lining Mentoring and the Silver Lining Institute.
· People of color and people with personal foster care experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
· Deep commitment to and belief in the mission, vision, and values of Silver Lining Mentoring.
· Minimum of 7+ years professional communications and marketing experience. Please submit writing sample or writing portfolio with resume and cover letter.
- Strong capacity for storytelling – with an understanding of how to tailor messages for different audiences.
- History of using analytics to create effective communications and marketing strategies.
· Demonstrated success in developing and executing strategic communications and marketing campaigns.
· Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
Silver Lining Mentoring offers a strengths-based collaborative staff team, flexible work environment, accessible office location in downtown Boston, and excellent benefit package with generous vacation. Due to the pandemic, Silver Lining Mentoring is working remotely for the first half of 2021. The salary range is commensurate with experience and will be shared with applicants. Silver Lining Mentoring is an Equal Opportunity Employer. http://www.silverliningmentoring.org
Submit cover letter, resume, and writing sample or writing portfolio to HR@silverliningmentoring.org.
Job posted: 2021-02-11