Associate Director, Communications & Reputation Management
We recognize and respect the amount of time you are about to invest by applying to this open position. If you complete this job application, you will be kept informed via email status updates (and text messages, if you opt in) throughout the evaluation process.
By continuing with this job application, you will be asked to answer job-specific questions. Please note that the questions contained in this job posting are our sole intellectual property.
Upon receipt of your responses, we will evaluate your submission. If selected for a personal interview, you will receive an email/text with scheduling instructions.
The Hiring Manager
SPECIAL NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within minutes of your job application submission, please check your email bulk or spam folders.
Initiated in 1898, the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association is the marketing organization and trade association for America’s one million cattle farmers and ranchers. With offices in Denver and Washington, D.C., NCBA is a consumer-focused, producer-directed organization representing the largest segment of the nation’s food and fiber industry. NCBA works to achieve the vision; “A dynamic and profitable beef industry, which concentrates resources around a unified plan, consistently meets global consumer needs and increases demand.”
We are always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team. If you think you are ready to be a part of an exciting team, then we encourage you to continue with this applicant friendly, online job application!
National Cattlemen’s Beef Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
We are the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, and we come to work every day to work on behalf of our country’s nearly one million cattle farmers and ranchers. You may have heard of the iconic Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. brand and one of our core jobs is to protect that brand and help bring it to the next generation of consumers by sharing with them stories about the amazing people who raise beef, the strength that beef provides and of course, the great taste of beef.
We have an exciting role open right now on our Issues Management and Media Relations team in our Denver office. The right candidate will be excited by developing and executing strategic communications plans, a strong writer, a team player, and be willing and able to roll up their sleeves and get stuff done.
As part of the Issues Management and Media Relations team, you’ll be supporting our efforts through active monitoring of issues that threaten consumer confidence in beef, as well as through issues response strategies and tactics. You’ll also be helping to develop and disseminate critical issues-related information through fact sheets, web copy, bylined articles, social media content, issue alerts and other communication tools and channels. Finally, you’ll help NCBA get ahead of issues by looking for opportunities to help shape important conversations and media coverage around agriculture and beef production.
This is a key role for the organization and the cattle farmers and ranchers we represent, and it requires your full dedication. But, we’re a fun group of people, committed to each other and to delivering great work in an essential industry. And, there’s competitive pay and benefits, too.
- Communications: 85%
- Develop and execute effective and timely communications strategies. Tactics may include supporting the development of issues and crisis plans, facilitating drills and exercises, issues/crisis management, and influencer outreach strategies.
- Track and analyze beef industry issues in traditional and social media channels, and support issues response efforts and outreach and engagement opportunities based on monitoring data and direction from the director of issues management and department lead.
- Coordinate issues response efforts with internal team and carry out day-to-day implementation of issues response strategies and tactics.
- Develop, design and write communications (e.g., media statements, talking points, opinion editorials, fact sheets, presentations and monitoring reports) for assigned areas that are compelling, accurate, clear, in line with the Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. brand voice, and delivered on time.
- Conduct active outreach to news media and media influencers around issues-related topics and news coverage, including addressing inaccuracies and misinformation.
- Identify and coordinate opportunities for industry and organization thought leadership, including sponsored content and relevant speaking events.
- Support the internal team and state partners on issues response, reputation management and media requests, including helping spokespeople prep for and conduct media interviews.
- Collaborate with other members on the team to optimize efficiency and ensure consistent messaging across channels.
- Contribute to the development of creative communications strategies and practices by keeping abreast of latest industry standards, best practices, tools and technologies.
- Maintain shared calendars, project tracking documents and reports, department SharePoint site and other administrative needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing or similar field plus a minimum of three years of experience in public relations, public affairs, issues management or crisis communications.
- Agricultural communications experience or degree preferred.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment of issues and crisis management and must be passionate about responding to the challenging issues impacting production agriculture and the beef industry, occasionally involving early/late/weekend hours.
- A thoughtful self-starter and collaborative in nature.
- Strong time management skills and experience in successfully managing multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Experience in communication plan development and execution, crafting messaging, content strategies and writing.
- Basic understanding of AP Style.
- Basic knowledge of mainstream social media platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including adapting to different working and communication styles, giving and receiving constructive feedback, and active listening.
- Ability to follow processes and procedures.
- Ability to consistently meet attendance standards for regular, reliable, predictable, full-time attendance.
- Ability for business travel (10-20 percent of your time) and availability on weekends.
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Short-Term Disability
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Vacation
- Sick Time
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-30