Associate Director, Congressional Relations
The American Optometric Association is currently seeking an Associate Director, Congressional Relations!
The AOA federal advocacy team is a tight-knit group of seasoned advocates housed in the association’s satellite office in Old Town Alexandria. Our passionate in-house lobbyists and accomplished outside consultants are fully supported by a network of dedicated volunteer leaders. The advocacy team helps oversee our active and growing PAC and our sizeable grassroots advocacy network of doctors and students in every Congressional district, which has helped Optometry punch above its perceived weight class in Washington, D.C., again and again.
The Associate Director of Congressional Relations plays a critical role in advancing the AOA’s federal legislative agenda on Capitol Hill. This position reports to the Chief Federal Advocacy Officer and will collaborate with the Federal Government Relations team, other AOA staff, AOA volunteer leaders, and other partners in alignment with AOA’s federal advocacy goals. Through direct lobbying, grassroots organizing, and political support activities, the Associate Director, Congressional Relations, will strive to influence and educate lawmakers, their staff, and other policymakers. The ideal candidate is highly relational and an effective advocate with a clear understanding of the federal legislative process and outstanding working knowledge of health care policy.
- Advocates to lawmakers and their staff directly on vision and eye health and related issues.
- Develops and fosters relationships with lawmakers, their staff, and other policy makers, including Federal agencies.
- Represents AOA at Capitol Hill meetings and hearings.
- Participates in Federal Relations Committee meetings and conference calls.
- Conducts direct lobbying on Capitol Hill, including preparing comments to Congress and coordination of materials and meetings.
- Attends AOA-PAC events on behalf of the association.
- Triages advocacy questions from members and others and directs them to the appropriate AOA staff.
- Assists with the annual D.C. “fly-in” meeting and helps coordinate AOA-PAC and AOA’s grassroots advocacy program.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher; a focus on law or political science preferred
- U.S. Senate experience or Senate-focused relationships preferred
- 5+ years in the federal policymaking setting; Capitol Hill and/or in an association setting preferred
- Advanced working knowledge of the federal legislative process; health care policy, in particular, is preferred
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with web-based collaborative sharing tools such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom
- Established relationships on Capitol Hill and the commitment to fostering new relationships
- Exceptional ability to educate and influence others
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for the profession of optometry, AOA’s mission, and health care policy
The position holder must spend significant time on Capitol Hill and travel to several out-of-state fundraisers/meetings per year.
About American Optometric Association:
The American Optometric Association (AOA), a federation of state, student, and armed forces optometric associations, was founded in 1898. Today, the AOA is proud to represent the profession of optometry, America’s family eye doctors, who take a leading role in an individual’s overall eye and vision care, health, and well-being. Doctors of optometry (ODs) are the independent primary health care professionals for the eye and have extensive, ongoing training to examine, diagnose, treat and manage disorders, diseases, and injuries that affect the eye and visual system, providing two-thirds of primary eye care in the U.S.
The AOA’s mission is to advocate for the profession and serve doctors of optometry in meeting the public’s eye care needs.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-27