Associate Director, Digital Communications and Marketing
In 1991, four women gathered around a kitchen table and pioneered an organization founded to fight the rare disease three of them were fighting. The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA), exists to support patients and caregivers living with this rare disease, which can affect all people of all ages and backgrounds. Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is a chronic and life-changing lung disease that can lead to right heart failure if left untreated.
PHA, a nonprofit organization, is unique because we support and engage all communities affecting and affected by pulmonary hypertension, including patients, caregivers, doctors, nurses and other health professionals. PHA’s mission is to extend and improve the lives of those affected by PH.
Since our founding, we have far outgrown the kitchen table, and serve the PH community in a variety of ways, including: empowering patients and caregivers through programs, services and education, raising awareness of PH in the community, advocating for the PH community, catalyzing research for a cure and promoting quality patient care.
Our employees are entrepreneurial, creative, dedicated, passionate professionals, who are all working together to extend and improve the lives of those affected by PH.
Join our PHight!
The Communications & Marketing department leads in the development and implementation of PHA’s communications and marketing strategies and programs and creates and manages guidelines, procedures and processes that foster creative collaboration and ensure unified, consistent and effective PHA messaging. The department provides communications and marketing services (including strategy and message development, editorial copywriting, design and creative services, media engagement, digital and video production and social media) that support PHA program managers’ communications needs, promote PHA design and messaging best practices and provide cost-effective communications and marketing solutions.
The Associate Director, Digital Communications & Marketing manages PHA’s external communications, including PHA’s website, social media platforms and e-communications. The Associate Director, Digital Communications & Marketing is a brand manager for the organization, presenting compelling stories and creating a cohesive presence throughout PHA’s communications efforts. The Associate Director, Digital Communications & Marketing also works closely with the Vice President, Communications & Marketing to create marketing plans for programs and events and on media relations and with online influencers to create awareness and support of PHA’s mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In collaboration with the Vice President, Communications & Marketing, develop and implement a communications vision for PHA that assesses current communications and marketing tactics and creates and executes new strategies.
- Create and maintain PHA websites, overseeing content management, accessibility, incorporation of third-party applications and improving site navigation and functionality, supported by Web Services Manager.
- Spearhead website redesign and development, from internal needs assessment and database integration to RFP process and managing related vendors.
- Improve web traffic and use of products and services through search engine optimization and online marketing campaigns.
- Manage news flow and develop consistent messaging across social media, e-newsletters and PHA website.
- Write and/or edit content for website, e-newsletters and social media posts.
- Oversee dissemination of PHA’s various e-communications and lists from Raiser’s Edge database.
- Measure, track and report effectiveness of website(s) and other communications strategies and publications, including e-communications, social media platforms and online program materials, using Google Analytics and other tools.
- Collaborate with the Communications & Marketing team, as well as program managers, to create and help execute marketing plans for promotional activities and events and coordinate, develop and oversee production of digital materials, including advertisements, social media posts, web pages and e-communications.
- Oversee Digital Media Associate in creation and scheduling of social media communications across Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media platforms. Utilize existing and new platforms to connect new audiences with PHA’s mission and build relationships in the PH community.
- In collaboration with Communications & Marketing team, develop media lists and distribute news releases to promote PHA campaigns, events and activities; collaborate with Digital Media Associate to develop relationships with reporters and bloggers on social media platforms.
- In collaboration with staff and other speakers, produce talking points and speeches.
- Oversee monitoring of news coverage of PH and PHA, create reports and share content throughout online communication channels. Develop and maintain media room on PHA website.
- In collaboration with Communications & Marketing team, maintain style guide for website, social media and other digital communications.
- Develop and promote advertising strategies for website and online publications.
- Manage vendors and independent contractors connected to digital communications including web developers, email vendors, press vendors, photographers, videographers and social media vendors.
- Lead strategy and oversee production of videos and photography, including developing scripts and interview questions, planning shoots and overseeing editing.
- Maintain list of storytellers and spokespersons on a variety of topics for PHA.
- Copy edit and proofread, along with other communications and marketing tasks, as needed.
- Supervise and develop Web Services Manager and Digital Media Associate.
- Reports to Vice President, Communications & Marketing.
- Reporting to this position: Web Services Manager and Digital Media Associate.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work requires occasional weekend and/or evening work and travel.
HIGHLIGHTS OF BENEFITS & PERKS:
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans.
- Paid vacation, sick and personal days.
- Transportation subsidy (parking or public transit).
- 403(b) retirement plan.
- Bagel Fridays!
Click the ‘apply‘ button on this posting. Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered. We look forward to receiving your application, but no phone calls please.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements. The Pulmonary Hypertension Association, a 501(c)3, nonprofit organization, is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). For more about PHA see: www.PHAssociation.org.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Digital Communications, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 4 years’ management level experience in website management and digital communications; experience managing staff required; experience managing contractors, vendors and/or volunteers strongly preferred.
- Experience using content management systems, including site functionality, accessibility, web architecture and content development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to write creative copy for various applications, including print, web, social media and e-communications.
- Excellent editor, well-versed in AP style.
- Strong understanding of website best practices and web analytics.
- Familiarity and experience with a variety of social media platforms.
- Knowledge of email marketing platforms, database and list management and reporting.
- Experience with writing and distributing press releases and reaching out to the media.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint), SEO skills, Google Analytics, content management systems required.
- Adobe Design Suite (in particular, Photoshop, Acrobat Pro and InDesign), MailChimp, Word Press strongly preferred.
- Ability to develop and drive new initiatives, create strategic plans, work cross-departmentally, oversee projects to completion, balance numerous projects and measure results.
- Ability to motivate a team, as both supervisor and peer, work as a collaborative team member, and work independently to produce quality materials within tight timeframes.
- Must demonstrate comfort with change and agility to adapt to and lead through change.
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment, preferably with an underserved or disease state audience. Experience in communications across varied audiences, including donors, community members and health care providers.
Job posted: 2020-07-14