Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Director of Digital Engagement
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent nonprofit that puts rigorous, independent science into action, developing solutions and advocating for a healthy, safe, and just future. We envision a peaceful, healthy, and just world where science serves people and the planet by guiding policy decisions, reducing risks, and improving lives.
For over five decades, we have been working as scientists, engineers, economists, advocates, and everyday people to create and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting disinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war. Values informing our work include:
- Science in the service of people and the planet.
- Justice and Equity for people of all races and incomes—now, and for future generations.
- Courage to take principled, science-based stands in the public arena.
- Integrity to always examine evidence critically, openly, and honestly.
- Democracy to promote a voice for all in government decisions.
- Action inspiring and mobilizing people to build a healthier, safer, and more just world.
The Associate Director of Digital Engagement will have a leadership role on the digital engagement team. They will serve as a strategic partner to the Director of Digital Engagement and oversee the organization’s social media, digital advertising, SMS, and activist recruitment efforts in support of advocacy campaigns and the UCS brand. The Associate Director will work with program outreach and web staff to develop and evaluate creative online advocacy, social media, marketing, and activist recruitment campaigns for the organization and UCS campaigns, as well as supervise the social media coordinator and digital marketing manager.
Strategy & Impact
- Drive digital engagement strategies across various cross-programmatic teams and digital channels to advance campaign and organizational strategic goals, including expanding and diversifying our base and contributing to campaign impact.
- Conceptualize and implement tests across channels –SMS, social media, digital ads—to ensure digital tactics are resonating and engaging supporters.
- Develop and refine KPIs, and monitor effectiveness of social media and digital advertising strategies.
- Stay abreast of trends in digital engagement and campaigning landscape (inclusive of email, SMS, digital marketing, and social media) and recommend changes to improvements and new approaches. Keep abreast of vendor updates to online tools and oversee engagement team staff in updating user manuals for SMS and social media tools as needed. Troubleshoot technical issues, as necessary.
- Assess new tools and platforms, and implement as needed. Plan, write, build, and send out the monthly UCS email newsletter.
Social media oversight
Oversee the implementation of the organization’s social media strategies and policies.
- Review and approve social media priorities as developed by social media coordinator
- Monitor organizational and staff social media accounts to ensure we’re projecting the right voice for the organization, in compliance with our 501c3 status, listening, and responding when needed.
Digital Advertising oversight
- Oversee the development and execution of digital advertising plans to increase visibility and engagement for our campaigns and brand visibility for the organization.
- Oversee the research and implementation of online activist recruitment campaigns, working with programs, fundraisers, external partners, and vendors to replenish and grow activist and donor base.
- Work with director of digital engagement and digital consultants to assess sources and conversion of new constituents. Use insights to inform digital lead-generating ads strategy and ongoing cultivation plans including assessing welcome and reengagement series.
Qualifications and Experience
- Seven to ten years of online activism, digital marketing (campaign and/ or fundraising), and social media experience, including direct experience running advertising and social media programs in an advocacy, fundraising, or electoral campaign setting.
- Proven ability to engage online constituents and grow online supporter lists
- Proven track record of developing creative digital marketing strategies and strong knowledge of best practices across digital platforms.
- Excellent digital writing and editorial skills
- Capacity to manage multiple projects and deadlines with ease.
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a team environment and independently is essential.
- In-depth knowledge of eCRMs, digital advertising and social media tools and platforms.
- Supervisory experience
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
This position is remote and can be based out of one of our four offices in DC, MA, IL, or CA. The salary range is $114,671-129,000
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment which is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Covid Mandate for New Hires:
All new employees must comply with the mandatory vaccination requirements outlined in UCS policies as soon as practicable. Union of Concerned Scientists will notify candidates for employment of the requirements of this policy before the start of employment.
Deadline: until filled.
Job posted: 2023-01-10