Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Director/Director, Federal Budget Policy
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director or Director of Federal Budget Policy on its Tax and Budget Policy team. The Tax and Budget Policy team is committed to promoting an economy that works for all, led by robust public investments and a more equitable tax code. It is a small but dynamic team that often collaborates with American Progress’ many other policy teams. The Tax and Budget Policy team is situated within the Inclusive Growth department, which works to address the deep inequities in the U.S. economy to ensure that all Americans can live secure and stable lives.
The core function of the Associate Director or Director will be to advance American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities through research and analysis of federal budget policy, development of policy ideas and proposals, collaboration with stakeholders, and active engagement in ongoing policy debates. The five crosscutting priorities are:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
The ideal candidate has experience and expertise in the federal budget and appropriations process; strong analytical, writing, and communication skills; sharp instincts for turning progressive ideas into action; a team-oriented approach; energy and creativity; and a strong dedication to progressive values.
- Lead and/or conduct research and analysis on federal budget policy, including quantitative and qualitative analysis of the effects of fiscal policy proposals.
- Author and co-author policy reports, briefs, memos, op-eds, and a variety of written products that advance progressive fiscal policies and translate complex research and budget findings for broad audiences.
- Develop and assess new policy ideas and approaches.
- Build and strengthen relationships with allies and partners, including policymakers, other progressive advocacy organizations, relevant academic scholars, and others.
- Interface with congressional staff and others involved in policymaking, external groups, and media covering federal fiscal policy.
- Serve as primary coordinator for organizationwide efforts related to the federal budget and appropriations process and state budgets.
- Provide support and expertise in budget and appropriations matters for American Progress’ policy teams.
- Monitor developments in fiscal policy and keep leadership and staff well briefed.
- Depending on skill set, contribute to American Progress’ overall economic work, such as analysis of the macroeconomy and labor markets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. An advanced degree in public policy, economics, law, or a related field is preferred.
- Experience related to federal fiscal policy in the executive branch, Capitol Hill, advocacy organizations, or other settings.
- Familiarity with the federal budget and appropriations processes and key institutions.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines, including producing timely analysis or rapid-response products that have an impact in a fast-moving policy world.
- Strong quantitative skills and facility with Microsoft Excel; more advanced quantitative skills are a plus.
- Instincts for capturing compelling data points and/or data visualization.
- Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences about complex policy issues.
- Strategic instincts for advancing progressive policies.
- Ability to build and strengthen relationships with external partners.
- Ability to work well with a team and to initiate, facilitate, and organize productive and efficient collaboration across American Progress’ policy and functional teams.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union. The Associate Director position has a minimum salary of $77,000, and the Director position has a minimum salary of $92,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
Job posted: 2022-09-11