Associate Director/Director, Federal & State Policy
As a key member of the Public Policy and Government Affairs team, the Associate Director/Director of State Policy is a critical role at Biogen, shaping Medicaid and state policy to benefit patient access, affordability, and innovation. Based in the Washington, DC, the Associate Director/Director will support the strategic vision of Biogen as a leader in neuroscience. Using sound judgment to develop targeted engagements with key stakeholders. The successful candidate will be self-motivated with an ability to work in a dynamic environment.
What You’ll Do
Provide policy solutions, advise on state bills and provide recommendations on Biogen product strategy regarding drug policy and reimbursement, and other issues as needed. Collaborate with internal Biogen cross-functional partners to develop and implement business and advocacy state policy strategies to address evolving policy and payment changes within states, ensuring alignment through internal and external communication plans.
· Optimize portfolio access and mitigate risk in response to the rapidly evolving U.S. payer landscape and state policy changes;
· Lead Medicaid and State Health Exchange reimbursement and coverage related initiatives with external stakeholders and in close coordination with Federal Policy Team;
· Partner closely with multiple cross-functional teams to analyze access and payment policies proposed by government and commercial payers – including rules and guidance from the state Medicaid agencies, state legislatures, and other relevant stakeholders.
· Assess impact of proposed policy to businesses within Biogen’s U.S. portfolios and propose and guide policy strategies, and financial impact.
· Remain informed and educate internal stakeholders on evolving and timely channel, policy and reimbursement requirements and updates, including, but not limited to Medicaid, 340B, individual market/health exchange plan policies, ERISA and insurance law changes, and value payment initiatives.
· Serve as lead liaison with relevant Medicaid state agency staff responsible for payment, coverage and reimbursement policy issues, and advise regional state field team.
· Develop network of external consultants to model impact of evolving policy and payment changes across stakeholders, and work in tandem with outside consultants.
Who You Are
You are a motivated self-starter with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously both individually as well as in cross-functional environments. You have strong communications skills as well as Medicaid and state policy experience. You like to work in a challenging and dynamic environment that can change and improve the lives of patients.
- 5-7 years of service working on state health policy and Medicaid issues in government or with relevant private sector experience
- Excellent verbal, analytical, written and interpersonal communication skills, particularly in interpreting and distilling complex information
- Excellent organizational and project management skills—demonstrated ability to independently manage multiple work streams
- Demonstrated commitment to ensuring patient access to innovative medicines and the importance of a thriving biopharmaceutical industry
- Ability to maintain good working relationships, internally and externally
- Ability to travel as needed
· Minimum 7-10 years of Medicaid, state policy or other relevant experience such as related healthcare policy consulting firm experience.
· Thorough knowledge and understanding of drug pricing, Medicare and Medicaid healthcare coverage and reimbursement environment.
· Strong analytical and business skills; ability to communicate effectively with high level executives.
· Ability to explain complex issues in a simple and succinct way.
· Demonstrated ability to work across functions, regions and cultures while exhibiting enterprise level leadership with the ability to inspire, motivate and drive results.
· Knowledge and understanding of healthcare product development and commercialization.
· Ability to work in a deadline-driven and fast-paced environment including managing multiple projects with on time.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-15