Associate Director / Director, Government Affairs
Novavax, Inc. (Nasdaq: NVAX) is a late-stage biotechnology company that promotes improved health globally through the discovery, development, and commercialization of innovative vaccines to prevent serious infectious diseases. Novavax recently initiated development of NVX-CoV2373, its vaccine candidate against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and achieved positive Phase 1 clinical trial results. NanoFlu, its quadrivalent influenza nanoparticle vaccine, met all primary objectives in its pivotal Phase 3 clinical trial in older adults. Both vaccine candidates incorporate Novavax’ proprietary saponin-based Matrix-M adjuvant in order to enhance the immune response and stimulate high levels of neutralizing antibodies. Novavax is a leading innovator of recombinant vaccines; its proprietary recombinant technology platform combines the power and speed of genetic engineering to efficiently produce highly immunogenic nanoparticles in order to address urgent global health needs.
We are seeking an Associate Director/Director of Government Affairs. This position reports to the Senior Director of Public Policy and Market Access within the Commercial Organization.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a primary company representative with Members of Congress and their staff, political appointees of the Administration, state legislatures, as well as key ex-US policymakers (e.g. European Commission).
- Participate in external organizations with government affairs activities, such as coalitions (e.g. Adult Vaccine Access Coalition, Coalition to Stop Flu) and trade groups (e.g. BIO).
- Monitor US and EU healthcare market trends, relevant legislative and regulatory developments, and analyze their impact to Novavax.
- Develop proactive strategies that address implications of legislative and regulatory developments and identify opportunities to advance our policy agenda.
- Execute upon the policy and government affairs agenda as part of the broader Commercial strategy that supports multiple vaccine launches and promotes optimal patient access to our novel vaccines.
- Create broad-based stakeholder coalitions around key policy initiatives, enabling stakeholder advocates with an effective voice to communicate with policymakers.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with policymakers and their staff.
- Shape corporate messaging that is used with external stakeholders and policymakers and develop materials in support of policy positions.
- Manage government affairs consultants and ensure coordination of their activities in support of strategy execution.
- Participate on and bring an understanding of the federal and state political landscape to cross-functional teams, including Policy, Market Access, Public Relations, Corporate Affairs, Sales, Marketing, Legal and Regulatory.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Preferred: advanced degree in healthcare policy, law, business, health sciences or any other related field.
- 7+ years of experience in US federal government affairs, Capitol Hill, the Administration, or a lobbying firm. Experience in vaccines preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical skills to assess how legislation and policy changes impact the company and business environment.
- Understanding of the healthcare landscape, including key programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build relationships with key leaders and staff within both Congress and the Administration on a bipartisan basis. Previous experience working with relevant US Congressional committees preferred.
- Strategic planning skills with detail-oriented approach to execution.
- Strong writing skills.
- Teamwork skills and ability to work cross functionally with multiple internal departments, including Policy, Market Access, Marketing, Public Relations, Legal, and Medical Affairs.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden. Novavax is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol NVAX and is dedicated to developing novel vaccines to address infectious disease.
Novavax, Inc. offers a base salary, annual bonus, stock options, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled.
Novavax, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-15