Associate Director, Equity & Justice
APCO Impact is a unique consultancy that takes an integrated and focused approach to social impact and sustainability. We partner with corporations, brands, nonprofits, foundations and governments to drive sustainability and weave positive social impact into decision-making at all levels. Our focus is on addressing root causes, changing systems and moving towards a more regenerative, equitable future. Our team brings together a range of experts across climate and sustainability, ESG, equity & justice, corporate purpose and philanthropy. Specialists in both strategy and operations, our teams are multi-generational and comprised of individuals who bring a mix of lived and professional experiences across the gamut of social and environmental issues. We are continually investing in our own knowledge so we are positioned to help clients see across trends and around the corner.
The Associate Director, Equity & Justice will be joining a growing team of professionals drive by supporting companies, organizations and non-profits advance efforts to create equitable, just, diverse and inclusive workplaces and communities. Our clients depend on us for guidance on strategy, pushing them to be bold, our ability to explain nuances driven by culture, our network of experts across issue areas and our passion for DE&I strategy and communications. You can expect that no day will be the same, and there will be limitless opportunities for creativity, alongside a lot of hard, fun and meaningful work. We are committed to our clients and expect nothing short of excellence.
The Associate Director, Equity & Justice will have primary responsibility for managing daily client interaction, workflow, timelines and deliverables. She/he/they will also work hand-in-hand with senior leaders across the firm to drive business development and help expand work with existing clients. Our work ranges from “traditional” DE&I communications and corporate communications to advising on how to engage around social justice issues and building racial justice-centered philanthropy strategies. This is an ideal position for someone who is passionate about racial equity, social justice and DE&I.
- Lead day-to-day execution of client engagements, taking ownership of the overall project and its end products. You will make an important contribution to the analysis, design, and implementation of client strategies and approaches, working closely with clients to ensure positive impact and sustainable results
- Scope and manage work-streams, closely manage progress against objectives, highlighting roadblocks as soon as they arise and taking responsibility for high-quality, timely execution of deliverables (e.g. client presentations, research briefs, memos)
- Research, gather and analyze information, formulate and test hypotheses, translate research into recommendations for client presentations
- Lead weekly problem-solving sessions to align on client work planning, facilitate decision-making, iterate on solutions and find work-arounds as needed (both internal and with clients)
- Support the ongoing growth and success of APCO Impact, including business development and proposal writing
- Expand a growing internal database of consulting tools, templates, research, and case studies
- Attend social impact networking events, do outreach and communications to build relationships, contribute to marketing and thought leadership
- Coach and support junior members of the team
- You have a Bachelor’s degree with an outstanding academic record; Advanced degree is preferred
- 6-8 years of professional experience; at least two years in relevant positions including internal DE&I, multi-cultural communications, corporate communications or experience within racial equity focused organizations
- Possess a broad-based knowledge of diverse populations including, but not limited to ethnic and racial cultures, faith traditions, and LGBTQ orientations
- Willing to bring your lived experience to the table when advising clients and engaging with teams internally
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills, inquisitive by nature, adept researcher
- Radically inclusive, values a diversity of perspectives and understands the importance of understanding issues from multiple perspectives to lead to the most effective counsel
- You thrive in complexity, are a natural problem-solver with an entrepreneurial sensibility, and dig deep for patterns and paths, even amidst a great deal of ambiguity
- You love structure, organization, and are detail oriented, but never miss the big picture
- You have a ‘no task too small’ mentality and know how to collaborate effectively within a distributed fast-paced team
- You are comfortable developing project scopes and deliverables in industries and project areas you don’t necessarily have deep expertise in
- You have strong writing, communication and presentation skills, and ability to communicate effectively, including with senior leaders
- You enjoy the variety and sometimes-chaos of managing a wide range of client projects from “tip to tail”
- You have a high level of proficiency with MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-28