Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
(Associate) Director EU Government Affairs
Gilead is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercialises innovative medicines in areas of high unmet medical need. The company strives to transform and simplify care for people with life-threatening illnesses around the world. Founded in 1987, Gilead has approximately 11,000 employees and operations in more than 35 countries worldwide. Gilead is known for its innovative medicines, start-up culture, lean teams and deep expertise of its people. Gilead has a heritage of being grounded in science.
Following the significant environmental challenges, the company has invested in the Government Affairs discipline with the aim of fostering an environment that enables patients to have access to our innovative portfolio.
Government Affairs and Policy aims to act as a critical link, connecting governments with Gilead science and connecting Gilead with policymakers’ needs and expectations. We strive to be a thought-leading function, valued for our analysis and insight and capability to inform policy change that enhances patients’ access to Gilead’s innovation. Our vision of success is to foster an environment where governments value, reward and support access to Gilead’s innovation.
The role will report to the Senior Director of Government Affairs in Brussels and will work closely with senior managers across the business. The individual will need to develop a quick understanding of a range of complex public policy issues and work with internal and external partners to ensure that Gilead is able to inform the policy debate effectively.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Government Affairs to inform and influence relevant stakeholders through an agreed government affairs strategy
- Develop a strong network of high-level political contacts and establish and maintain trusted relationships with stakeholders crucial to Gilead
- Map relevant stakeholders and understand their role in future healthcare policies and develop a contact programme with agreed key messages
- Represent the company in external fora including therapy area coalitions, and in trade association working groups
Environmental Monitoring & Analysis
- Monitor the political and policy environment and ensure that Gilead senior management is fully informed of key developments with significant business impact; support the preparation of environmental updates in advance of quarterly business reviews.
- Identify key legislative and non legislative public policy issues and coordinate the development of Gilead responses
- Oversee the activities of all government affairs agencies, ensuring that tactical programmes are delivered according to plan.
- Oversee the management of Gilead policy and government affairs stakeholder databases, working with agencies to ensure they are appropriately targeted and up to date.
- Support the Government Affairs Director and Gilead senior management in managing external relationships, including ensuring training programmes are in place and high quality briefing materials are routinely provided.Strategy & Internal Alignment
- Participate in Gilead internal HIV and Hepatitis, oncology and policy and government affairs workstreams.
- Represent GA in a TA brand team and develop a business relevant GA strategy
- In conjunction with the Senior Director, contribute to strategy development and strategic planning.
- Manage the flow of information to and from trade associations
- Working with Gilead compliance teams to ensure that all Gilead policy and government affairs activities are fully compliant with all laws, regulations and the ABPI Code of Practice.Key Performance Measures
- Agreed government affairs programmes executed to time and budget.
- Extent and quality of Gilead key external relationships Gilead reputation with key stakeholder groups Progress towards achievement of public policy goals.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Experience in the healthcare/pharmaceutical sectors; policy, public affairs experience.
- Proven ability to understand and clearly communicate policy, scientific and economic topics.
- Well-developed understanding of the healthcare and pharmaceutical policy environment.
- Ability to manage relationships with a high number of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to develop trust-based relationships with government officials, politicians, patient groups and other clinical Key Opinion Leaders.
- Innovative approach and willingness to learn and adopt new ideas.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation, facilitation and influencing skills.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-21