Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Director, Federal Affairs
Associate Director, Federal Affairs
Medicaid Health Plans of America is searching for our next great staff member. We are a growing team of committed individuals, and we are looking for someone awesome to handle legislative affairs. Is this you? Well, it is if you are first and foremost awesome. Second, you truly care about Medicaid beneficiaries – people in need across our country looking for a partner to help them succeed. Third, it is if you have a strong background and interest in Congressional affairs. We want people who are motivated to make positive changes to Medicaid and managed care, and work with our team to make that a reality. We don’t care if you are a Republican, Democrat, Independent or any other label, we just want team members willing to put in the time to make a difference for those in need.
If this sounds like you, then read our full job description and apply today.
LEVEL: Associate Director
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Government Relations and Advocacy
SALARY: Salary is negotiable depending on experience
LOCATION: Medicaid Health Plans of America (MHPA), Washington, D.C.
JOB PURPOSE: In partnership with the VP, Government Affairs and Advocacy, the Associate Director, Federal Affairs is responsible for the identification, development, and management of strategic relationships with Members of Congress, their staff, and key Congressional Committees with jurisdiction over Medicaid with the purpose of advancing the Medicaid priorities of MHPA.
- Maintains, develops, and enhances relationships with Members of Congress (focus on Congressional leadership, House Energy and Commerce Committee, and Senate Finance Committee members) and Congressional staff.
- Carries out federal lobbying activities advancing the priorities of the Medicaid managed care industry.
- Drafts letters to Congress, the Administration, MHPA newsletters and updates for MHPA members, and other documents intended to brief MHPA members on developments on Capitol Hill and in the Administration.
- Working with the policy team, reviews legislation and provides feedback to Congressional staff.
- Monitor and report out on Congressional hearings, briefings, and other Medicaid/health care related events.
- Assists with MHPA PAC operations.
- Actively engages with several Medicaid/health care related coalitions and maintains other strategic partnerships, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Medicaid, managed care, and/or health policy issues.
- Understanding of federal legislative and regulatory processes.
- Existing relationships with Congressional staff.
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making
- Microsoft Office products
- Professional and positive approach
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strategic thinking
- Attention to detail
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required. 3-5 years of experience working on Capitol Hill, in a corporation, or health care organization or trade association is preferred. Experience in health care policy preferred
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. MHPA also offers excellent benefits, including insurance coverage (health, STD/LTD, AD&D, Life), a 401k retirement plan, flexible schedules and vacation and medical leave benefits.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to Jobs@mhpa.org. Open until filled.
Job posted: 2022-04-19