Associate Director of Federal Affairs
The Hub Project
Launched in 2016, The Hub Project is a nonprofit effort comprised of a growing team of communications, research, operations, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
We’re looking for an Associate Director of Federal Affairs to lead and manage the Hub Project’s outreach to Capitol Hill and oversee our outreach team. This is a new role that will be a part of the Hub’s growing Federal and External Affairs team. You’ll help to drive our national legislative priorities and develop strategies on how to best push a progressive policy agenda on Capitol Hill and in the Executive Branch.
Working within the policy and research team, you’ll be responsible for identifying, developing, and managing key strategic relationships with members of Congress, and will work with teams across the Hub to align our strategy with that of our partner organizations. You’ll also work within our various campaign teams to make sure our Hill allies are kept informed on our efforts and programs.
We need someone with an understanding of how Congress works, a knack for outreach and working with partners, and a passion for creative problem-solving.
As Associate Director of Federal Affairs, you will:
· Assist the Director of Federal and External Affairs in managing the Hub Project’s Capitol Hill relationships and develop and execute a plan for outreach to members on our key initiatives.
· Ensure that our Hill allies are kept engaged and current on our various campaigns and programs.
· Work collaboratively across the Hub’s campaigns to help develop our Hill outreach strategy and then manage its execution.
· Build strong relationships with external stakeholders by cultivating an environment of support, readiness, and awareness.
· Collaborate with Hub Project staff on other teams (digital, communications, research) to be responsive to requests from Hill offices and other allies.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Federal and External Affairs; Director of Policy; and Managing Director, Policy and Research.
· Other duties as assigned may include, but are not limited to, state level advocacy and facilitating events with lawmakers.
· You have experience working in at least four Congresses in a variety of capacities and/or in a similar federal affairs role for another group.
· You have existing relationships among elected officials, their senior staff, and leaders within the progressive space.
· You are committed to a just and inclusive economy that delivers opportunity and dignity to all Americans and passionate about preserving and strengthening our democracy.
· You’re excellent at developing and managing relationships with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
· You are an experienced people manager and a talented leader.
· You have experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, specifically marginalized communities, in considering the impact and outcomes of decision-making.
· You are an excellent verbal and written communicator and have the ability to present to diverse audiences; including presenting to Congress people and senior leaders.
· You’re a pro at multi-tasking and working under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment.
· You’re well-organized and live for the details.
· You’re a creative problem-solver and enjoy the minutia of Congressional procedure.
· You’re committed to a just, inclusive, and robust economy that delivers opportunity and dignity to all Americans and passionate about preserving and strengthening our democratic institutions.
How to apply
To begin the application process, click here. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Hub is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Job posted: 2020-09-09