Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Director, Foundation Relations
The Atlantic Council seeks a talented, entrepreneurial individual to support the Deputy Director, Foundations. The position will help manage the proposal and budget process across the Atlantic Council to help secure funding from corporate, family, and private foundations. The candidate must be effective in working with staff to coordinate efforts across the organization to help identify, research, cultivate, and steward foundation donor relationships.
The Associate Director will work closely with the Development team, programmatic staff, and Deputy Director to draft timely and compelling foundation proposals, budgets, and complex narrative and financial reports; ensure submission of timely foundation proposals, budgets, and reporting; the candidate will monitor and maintain active grants and grant renewals, provide coordination for proposal development, and identify new funding opportunities while working to steward existing donor relationships. The Associate Director will have the opportunity to manage a portfolio of foundation donors.
The Associate Director will draft relevant correspondence, prepare briefing materials, ensure proposal packages are complete, competitive and on deadline. The candidate will also assist the deputy director in cultivating funder relationships by participating in and preparing for cultivation meetings, roundtable discussions, Council events, and development trips and work to actively grow the Council’s foundation portfolio. The candidate provide guidance to programs/centers on best practices in cultivation, stewardship, and monitoring and evaluation to include data analysis and performance measures to track progress and measure impact.
The successful candidate will communicate effectively, be an excellent writer and editor, enjoy and thrive in the fast-paced environment, be capable of embracing ambiguity, and be able to manage the high-level multitasking challenges of an entrepreneurial and energetic Development office. The candidate must be discreet, engaging, collegial, reliable, exceptionally organized, culturally sensitive, and respectful and have an interest in transatlantic relations, national security, or foreign policy.
Applications with cover letters and development-focused writing samples will be prioritized for consideration.
- Support Atlantic Council programmatic staff in preparing highly competitive proposal packages by reviewing and editing concept papers, Letters of Inquiry, and full proposal packages.
- Identify, cultivate, and steward a small active portfolio of foundation prospects along with programmatic staff.
- Research new foundation prospects to help expand and diversify Atlantic Council funding portfolio.
- Draft and review reports to ensure the Atlantic Council is in good standing with active foundation grants.
- Assist with creating and implementing strategies for managing foundations prospects and soliciting them for major grants.
- Liaise with the Office of Finance regarding budget development and all other related matters to ensure proposal deadlines are met.
- Compile supporting documentation for completed applications ensuring that proposals and grant deliverables, budgets, and required organizational documents are submitted in full compliance with the proposal guidelines and grant deliverable deadlines are met.
- Manage accurate recording of information in the Salesforce database.
- Coordinate with the associate director, Grants Administration and Contracts to ensure all supporting organizational documentation (annual budget, IRS determination letters, payment information, audited financials, board roster, etc.) are accurate and maintained and available as part of the proposal submission.
- Manage grant applications per award cycle.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism, international relations, or a related field.
- A minimum of four years of work experience in a Development department or relevant work experience in cultivating and stewarding foundation relationships.
- Experience with relationship management and the ability to support the organization’s fundraising efforts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically and pragmatically to anticipate and orchestrate next steps.
- Top-notch organizational skills; ability to initiate, prioritize, and follow through on plans.
- Ability to balance big picture thinking with attention to detail.
- Experience in CRM databases is preferred.
- Research skills and computer literacy; proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and report/query tools preferable.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to the Council’s mission and the ability to translate that commitment into compelling donor communications.
Job posted: 2022-09-12