Associate Director, Government Affairs
Hi, we’re Oscar. We’re hiring a Senior Manager to join our Government Affairs) team in our Tempe, Arizona office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About The Role
We are looking for a government affairs professional with extensive state regulatory experience, specifically with Arizona Department of Insurance and Financial Institutions, California insurance regulators including the Department of Managed Health Care, the California Department of Insurance, and Covered California, to assist in the continued development and execution of Oscar’s state and federal government affairs function.
- Provide thought leadership on legislative, regulatory and industry developments, including the proactive identification and assessment of regulatory risks and the ongoing monitoring and tracking of relevant legislative and regulatory updates.
- Partner with Oscar’s teams to support the company’s insurance regulation obligations in the various states Oscar operates.
- Work directly with Oscar’s West team and other functional areas to develop and execute on policy objectives. Working with counsel, monitor and brief teams on all relevant regional regulatory and legislative developments, and assess impact for Oscar. Advocate for Oscar’s point of view with industry groups and governmental bodies.
- Develop relationships with relevant state trade associations and other stakeholders to identify opportunities to promote policies that further Oscar’s interests. Maintain relationships with staff to facilitate and strengthen company influence with associations, in order to obtain appropriate research and policy support.
- Represent Oscar’s interests with elected officials and regulators at all levels, including senior government administration staff, commissioners, state legislators, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience.
- 7+ years of experience in government/regulatory affairs, preferably with a health insurer.
- Experience with state legislative and regulatory processes, ideally as they relate to the health insurance industry.
- Experience project managing cross-functional initiatives/responses, specifically in the government affairs/regulatory space.
- Experience communicating with and presenting information to leadership.
- Experience distilling regulatory requirements into digestible action items, for audiences at varying levels of seniority.
- Masters in business, public policy, public administration, juris doctorate or related degree
- Experience working in fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Experience working with federal health insurance regulators (including HHS/CMS/CCIIO), federal risk adjustment rules and the Stars Rating Program
Life At Oscar
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We’re on a mission to change health care — an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won’t be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you’ve inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Job posted: 2021-09-06