Associate Director – Government Affairs
About the Department
Novo Nordisk’s Market Access and Public Affairs team engages diverse stakeholders across political and healthcare landscapes to forge solutions that drive patient access to innovative products. We strive to deliver the best possible outcomes for patients with diabetes, obesity, growth hormone deficiencies and rare bleeding disorders through mutual wins for both Novo Nordisk and our Market Access customers. Our passion for helping people live better lives and our award-winning product pipeline can only be as effective as our ability to provide life-changing information to healthcare providers, key stakeholders and policymakers. Our Market Access and Public Affairs professionals ensure that the latest therapies and products reach the people who need them most, by creating an environment where innovation and chronic disease management drive optimal health outcomes. Are you ready to realize your potential?
Accountable for identifying business risks and developing defensive and responsive state level strategies to address legislative and public policy initiatives that could also affect patient access to Novo Nordisk Inc (NNI) therapies or the ability of the company to develop or market its products in a defined geographic region. Collaborates with Market Access, Field Sales and Medical Affairs teams to implement state strategies that promote the Novo Nordisk brand and/or issues and/or relationships in the States. Oversees and directs the activities of contract lobbyists in several states in the region. Conducts the strategic lobbying activities in designated region, including Colorado, Kansas, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas and Wyoming. Owns the development, advocacy, communications and execution of key business and triple bottom line legislative initiatives and issue response in the states, both for diabetes and BioPharmaceutical issues. In collaboration with Market Access Account Executives, initiates strategies to assure patient access to Novo Nordisk products in state funded health programs.
External relationships include: Governors and staff, state Legislators and staff, Public Health officials, including the State Departments of Health, Diabetes Prevention and Control Programs and other state health agencies. Owns the relationships with various national and regional business, policy and political organizations, such as Governors Associations, National Conference of State Legislators, Council of State Governments., for example, and with local chapters of national patient advocacy organizations, BIO and business and trade groups. Internal relationships include: Public Policy, Federal Government Affairs, Market Access, Sales, Medical Affairs, Finance and Legal.
Owns the relationship with the state arms of major trade associations, BIO and PhRMA, and interacts, as necessary, with many other external parties, including physician and patient groups, state diabetes and other health-related coalitions, trade associations, law firms, professional associations, vendors, consultants, contract lobbyists and customers. Reports to Senior Director, State Government Affairs.
- Advocates with key government officials, legislative committees and other entities for the inclusion of Novo Nordisks perspective into state legislative, regulatory and public policy initiatives of importance to the Company and to patients who rely on NNI therapies
- Assures strict adherence to lobbying disclosure and other ethical requirements applicable to government relations activities within each state in the region
- Builds, fosters and maintains beneficial relationships with patient, health care professional, and health advocacy groups, key government officials, legislative committees and other entities that define or influence state policy decisions affecting Novo Nordisk or the patients who rely on our therapies
- Collaborates with Market Access, Medical Affairs, Marketing, Sales and Public Policy team to lead efforts to mitigate adverse government decisions and to secure appropriate access for Novo Nordisk products under federal and state health programs
- Defines contract lobbyist responsibilities and directs activities designed to maximize Novo Nordisk ‘s impact on policy makers and patients
- Develops and executes strategic action plans on wide variety of public policy and business issues of importance to NNI in the geographic region, including issues affecting diabetes care and biotechnology industry interests
- Drafts letters, policy statements, and testimony for dissemination to relevant public officials and entities
- Drafts memos, educational materials, and presentations, as necessary, for the senior Novo Nordisk business and government affairs leadership detailing the impact of government decisions on the companys business and public policy interests
- Plans and executes events for state and local officials designed to increase awareness of Novo Nordisk and diabetes issues and oversees and directs related vendor activities
- Responsible for the effective and efficient use of State Government Affairs annual budget allocation
30-40% overnight travel required.
- A Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years of progressive experience with federal or state legislative, executive and public-policymaking bodies required
- Experience with and understanding of the diabetes therapeutic area preferred
- Experience working in a matrixed relationship with sales, managed markets and medical affairs colleagues on public policy matters required
- Experience working with healthcare industry associations, physician or patient groups required, demonstrating an understanding of healthcare and pharmaceutical issues
- Direct lobbying experience, demonstrating ability to effectively deliver information, and explain, advocate and negotiate with a broad spectrum of individuals
- Results-focused – prior track record required
- Travel required, including travel to NNIs Plainsboro New Jersey and Washington DC office
- Residency in one of the states comprising the geographic region preferred
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-04