Associate Director, Government Relations & Advocacy
Since 1984, Share Our Strength® has led the fight against hunger and poverty by inspiring and organizing individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Today, through the No Kid Hungry and Cooking Matters campaigns, Share Our Strength is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need. No child should go hungry in America – we’re on our way to making that a reality and we want you to join us. We’re bold, creative, always open to new ideas and 100% dedicated to our mission. If that sounds like you, we’d like you to consider becoming part of our team.
The Associate Director is a key strategy and implementation specialist on our Government Relations and Advocacy team. This scope of work includes partnering with senior organizational leaders in the development and management of the implementation of Share Our Strength’s overall advocacy engagement efforts as well as grasstops and grassroots strategies and tactics. In collaboration with external partners and colleagues across the organization, the Associate Director will serve as Share Our Strength’s representative in a variety of stakeholder and coalition groups. The Associate Director will build on their history of building state and local relationships, developing strategies for engaging key stakeholder groups, managing advocacy efforts in priority states, and identification of and collaboration to create action plans around new policy opportunities.
This role is preferably based in Washington, DC, but could be fully remote for the right candidate. Range for offers: $84,000-$91,900.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the development and execution of strategies and work plans to broaden and deepen grasstops and grassroots engagement across existing and future stakeholder audiences.
- Collaborate across departments and audiences to leverage opportunities for grassroots engagement, including managing competing priorities, identifying opportunities for cooperation, and developing a shared advocacy vision.
- Support and drive Share Our Strength to reach advocacy goals by providing ongoing feedback, conducting regular needs and progress assessments, identifying barriers and opportunities and developing strategies and marshalling resources from across the organization.
- Develop an understanding of broader organizational goals and strategies and identify opportunities to leverage advocacy to further organizational goals.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop and execute integrated advocacy strategies to support the organization’s federal, state, local, and organizational goals.
- Working collaboratively with the Government Relations and Advocacy team, develop and lead strategies to create consistent, meaningful opportunities for grassroots engagement.
- Lead execution of campaigns and/or projects in portfolio, providing strategic guidance as well as creative solutions to overcome barriers and challenges.
- Develop and execute advocacy plans and timelines to meet goals, deliverables and deadlines, working collaboratively with internal and external colleagues.
- Communicate progress and facilitate shared understanding of advocacy metrics, strategies, tactics and impact among external and internal stakeholders, including senior leadership.
- Represents Share Our Strength to external audiences, including through presentations at conferences, community events, meetings with key stakeholders, donors, and in similar forums.
- Provide strategic counsel and guidance to Field Team and Program Department leadership during annual planning, campaign reviews and on other strategic matters.
- Partner with colleagues to support Share Our Strength’s work to be a diverse and inclusive organization, and ensuring those values are embedded in the organization and throughout our work.
- Lead organizational workgroups as needed.
- May manage an Intern and/or external consultants and vendors as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MA/MS preferred, but not required; 6-9 years of relevant experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience with a focus on grassroots and grasstops development, issue and/or political campaigns, and/or membership development.
- Considerable experience in the development, execution and growth of comprehensive grassroots strategies and plans.
- Demonstrated success at developing and managing effective and collaborative partnerships both externally and internally.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including experience identifying and cultivating advocates with varying degrees of experience and helping to translate on the ground experience into policy change. Stakeholder groups could include: anti-hunger activists, coalition partners, legislators, donors, and the general public.
- Excellent judgment and ability to identify, highlight and solve challenges and recommend strategies.
- Proven ability to excel working independently and as part of a (virtual/hybrid/in-person) team environment.
- Highly effective within a fluid, entrepreneurial environment, including a demonstrated ability to initiate, organize and prioritize multiple projects and work independently.
- Very organized with ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills, including the ability to identify and work through challenges, underscored by strong judgment and emotional intelligence.
- Strong background working with diverse stakeholders to successfully implement projects and/or build collaboration around specific goals or programs.
- Excellent analytical and project management skills required.
- Demonstrated interest in food justice, anti-hunger, and/or anti-poverty issues.
At Share Our Strength, we value an individual’s diversity of backgrounds, experiences, ideas and b perspectives. A hallmark of our history, culture and values has been the organization’s desire to bring together motivated, intelligent, and talented people to work together to find and implement solutions to end hunger and poverty in the U.S. and abroad. We each come to Share Our Strength with a unique background, but together we form a team that yields amazing results. This shared value of encouraging and embracing diversity in our organization fosters a workplace and culture that is highlighted for its innovation, open expression of ideas, and collaboration. With a strong shared commitment to the organization’s mission, and a unique blend of individual strengths, we are all working toward ensuring that every individual can live a healthy and productive life.
Job posted: 2021-09-01