Associate Director of Government Relations and Grassroots Engagement
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Community and Government Relations Associate
National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) unrelentingly invests in, mobilizes and unites our community to discover a cure, deliver effective treatments, and advocate for patients and their care partners. NBTS is a leading policy advocacy and research organization as well as a convener of brain tumor research leaders including industry, regulators, funders, clinician researchers and patient advocates. The organization also delivers timely information and support to patients and families. Through collaborative leadership with partners, our results include paradigm shifting research discoveries, increased federal funding for brain tumor research, innovative new clinical trials, opportunities for entrepreneurship and venture philanthropy to benefit brain tumor research, and empowering collaborative advocacy that results in reforms and advances to health care and the development of treatments.
While we have seen significant progress in terms of scientific understanding of brain tumor biology, we are unsatisfied with the status quo of today’s treatment options. NBTS is committed to investment in new ideas and research poised to incent the development and realization of treatments that dramatically increase survival and quality of life for patients.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage Senior Community and Government Relations Associate
- Work collaboratively with Director of Community Relations and Sr. Community and Government Relations Associate
- Create feasible annual and multi-year plans to build, implement and renew NBTS grassroots advocacy program in service of mission delivery plans and coordinated with other NBTS functions
- Provide input to the government relations agenda with a grassroots focus
- Support diversity efforts within NBTS Change activities in grassroots efforts, communications, and signature advocacy events
Program Administration – NBTS Grassroots Initiative
- Improve and implement the NBTS grassroots initiative and engagement strategy
- Coordinate and ensure NBTS’ mission is communicated effectively and supported by broad efforts to influence policy action, building movement to support priority issues and mobilize advocates
- Direct development and implementation of grassroots legislative campaigns, including action alerts, petitions and other communications
- Recruit, and develop relationships with, key advocates from priority districts and states
- Cultivate grasstops and grassroots engagement through a comprehensive, coordinated strategy implemented cross-departmentally
- Create training and presentations on relevant advocacy issues, to develop an informed and engaged pool of advocates
- Cultivate and maintain grasstops and grassroots engagement
- Proactively identify opportunities for grassroots engagement
- Report monthly on status of activities and advocate relationship development
- Develop and report on monthly and quarterly key performance indicators for grassroots advocacy program
Program Administration – Signature Advocacy Events
- Serve as Director for Head to the Hill program
- Facilitate planning of special events including but not limited to, in-district meetings, in support of legislative agenda as necessary
- Oversee Phase 1 Champion building with Senior Community and Government Relations Associate
- Participate in meetings with government officials as identified by the Chief of Community and Government Relations
Community Outreach and Engagement
- Engage in coalition activities in coordination with Chief of Community and Government Relations
- Collaborate with Development team to integrate advocacy into regional signature and community events
- Implement strategic communications around legislative agenda and government relations activities targeted to grassroots stakeholders
- Develop campaigns to collect stories and relationship information from advocates
- Develop supporting materials, data and documentation for policy positions for advocates
- Develop content for electronic updates on public policy matters for constituents
- Ensure that the advocacy section of the NBTS website is maintained
- Create materials, reports and statistics for NBTS development team
- Coordinate with Development on revenue generation opportunities for grassroots engagement activities
- Maintain appropriate records within Salesforce and other NBTS tools
- Develop performance measures and other measures to evaluate effectiveness of NBTS Change program
Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree with a minimum of five to seven years professional experience organizing and activating advocates, volunteers, patients/caregivers and medical professionals.
- Prior experience with grassroots development required, and government relations engagement with Capitol Hill preferred.
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Skilled at planning and executing specific projects as part of a larger strategy.
- Experience and interest in public policy, health care, politics, and the democratic process.
- Interest in building a powerful advocacy force for the brain tumor community.
- Strong oral and written communication skills: strategic communication over time as well as, the ability to communicate clearly and concisely in writing and in person.
- Strong, proactive, personal outreach to advocates and key stakeholders.
- Comfortable presenting and facilitating in person, via teleconference or webinar
- Strong logistical experience in creating events and opportunities for volunteers.
- Proactive and able to work independently on multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to coordinate cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of Phone2Action advocate platform preferred.
- A team player who wants to make a difference in the fight against brain tumors and cancer
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires someone to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to travel (drive and/or fly) to conferences, meetings, events, etc.
- Required to use a computer for long periods of time
- Infrequent light physical effort required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable Individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- ● Work performed in an office environment.
- ● This is a full-time, exempt position
- ● Location: Washington, D.C. area
- ● Travel throughout the US may be required approximately 10% of the time.
NBTS strives to ensure we have a workplace that embraces diverse viewpoints, backgrounds, cultures, and experiences. NBTS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Job posted: 2021-02-24