Associate Director, Grassroots Advocacy
Bring your passion and leadership to join the fight against ALS!
The Associate Director, Grassroots Advocacy will report to the Vice President, Public Policy and work as part of a team with the Associate Director for Government Affairs and the Public Policy Manager. The successful candidate will design and direct nonpartisan grassroots activities, including managing an annual Fly-In and the National ALS Advocacy Conference and working with ALS chapters and volunteer leaders. While federal level advocacy is the main focus, the candidate will also develop a new program to support chapters on state level advocacy. This is a full-time, exempt position based in the National Office of The ALS Association in Washington, D.C.
Core duties and responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Collaborate with the Associate Director for Government Affairs and Public Policy Manager as well as Care Services, Research, Communications and Development departments to advance the Association’s strategic plan.
- Plan/implement all aspects of grassroots working in collaboration with the Associate Director of Government Affairs, ALS chapters and volunteer leaders, including utilizing “Contact Congress” system. As needed, provide technical assistance for congressional district meetings and chapter ALS walks.
- Lead the meeting planning and implementation of an annual Fly In (90 participants) and the National ALS Advocacy Conference (450 participants), including managing conference budgets and expenditures, organizing staff team support and directing a meeting consultant.
- Craft high-quality communications, fact sheets, toolkits, blogs and other materials necessary to support grassroots activities related to current/emerging policy issues. Take responsibility for ensuring that appropriate components of the ALS website are up to date.
- As requested, represent the association in meetings with national organizations and federal policymakers.
- Lead development of a new program, to be implemented over the next three years, to work with chapters on state level advocacy, including development of state profiles, webinars on best practices and a “Chapters Helping Chapters” program.
- Responsible for development of budgets and monitoring of expenditures as assigned for Fly-In, Advocacy Conference and grassroots initiatives. Contribute to and support team efforts for annual department strategic planning.
- Staff support for committees/task forces or special projects.
- Convey a professional and positive image that reflects favorably on The ALS Association.
Qualifications And Key Skills
- Bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years of work experience in health care government affairs and advocacy or the equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Experience planning and implementing national advocacy meetings and grassroots campaigns in a nonpartisan fashion and coalitions efforts. Experience using advocacy software.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and independently to manage multiple projects and designated consultants.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent writing and communications skills.
- Strategic thinker able to develop new opportunities to advance the ALS Association’s priorities and mission.
The ALS Association endeavors to make www.alsa.org accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please call 202.464.8831 or email email@example.com. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
The ALS Association is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here.
The ALS Association is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-01-05